We’re #30 - Keith Law farm systems rankings

baltfan

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That was the point that I made. Law seems to place more value on teams/farm systems with top 50ish prospects then he does overall depth. 

Probably a good way to rate farm systems. If you look at 2014 Orioles team:

JJ Hardy: 19th rated prospect

Machado: 6th rated prospect

Markakis 21st rated prospect

Jones: 28th rated prospect

Davis 65th rated prospect

Wieters #1 rated prospect

Pearce 89th rated prospect

Delmon Young #1 rated prospect

So looking at position players the only ones not highly rated were Nelson Cruz, Ryan Flaherty, Caleb Joseph and David Lough.  

So they missed on Cruz but the other guys turned out to be back-ups for a few years.  I don't think having a fifth outfielders, back-up catchers and utility infielders is going to make you a better team. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There's also zero reason Duquette (a dead man walking GM) should have been allowed to trade Gausman. 

He traded Gausman to save money. Common sense says that. Once O’Day was in the deal the prospects went down. 

To blame DD makes no sense. Why would he feel like he had any rush to deal him? 

Not to derail this thread, but since Schoop ended up signing with the Twins it got me wondering if we hadn't traded him last year could we have packaged him and Gausman to the Twins for a package centered around Buxton? I think the Twins would have also been VERY interested in Givens too. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

He traded Gausman to save money. Common sense says that. Once O’Day was in the deal the prospects went down. 

30th ranked team, 30th ranked system, the Duq 30 for 30. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I'm not blaming him I'm blaming ownership for allowing him to make the trade. Letting a GM who's contract was about to expire trade valuable pieces under contract for multiple years makes no sense. I'm fine with cutting salary, but they should have let Elias make those trades during the off season. There should have been no urgency to trade Gausman or Schoop before they hired a new GM. Those salaries would have still come off the books in 2019. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Once again why would Dan care to save the Orioles money unless he was told to ditch payroll?  

I don't think anyone is faulting Duquette. It was a poor decision by ownership to let him make those moves. Duquette should have only been allowed to trade pending free agents. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

After a winning cycle, no Int spending and one man’s opinion.  

Twisting things to make a narrative.  

Irony for 500, Alex. Duq had little to do with anyone on the roster we won with, he had everything to do with what we have now. To his credit, he had no insignificant role in the Cubs first WS title in 100 years. 

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not blaming him I'm blaming ownership for allowing him to make the trade. Letting a GM who's contract was about to expire trade valuable pieces under contract for multiple years makes no sense. I'm fine with cutting salary, but they should have let Elias make those trades during the off season. There should have been no urgency to trade Gausman or Schoop before they hired a new GM. Those salaries would have still come off the books in 2019. 

Both went to contending teams. Gausman was much more valuable to Atlanta because they were trying to win last year. Clearly in a perfect world he was not dealt with O’Day. To assume that O’Day would be attached with Gausman this offseason is something no one knows. 

Schoop was non tendered and has one year before FA, just signed for $7.5M. You aren’t getting a ton for him. He was hot when he was dealt. 

6 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Irony for 500, Alex. Duq had little to do with anyone on the roster we won with, he had everything to do with what we have now. To his credit, he had no insignificant role in the Cubs first WS title in 100 years. 

So why didn’t they win before he arrived if all the pieces were in place? 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Regardless of the fairly accurate commentary on how some things were done poorly by the org, the ranking is purely ridiculous.

The Mets are middle of the pack by these rankings. The Mets. I’d wager a large sum that there is more future value in the O’s system currently than the Mets system.

You know better than I where they would rank since you follow other systems as well a bit, but I disagree that the system is weak or barren. Is it missing a sure fire superstar, sure, but I like our top five better than any recent top five in recent memory.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So why didn’t they win before he arrived if all the pieces were in place? 

When DD had more authority to operate, the teams did win.

After the Blue Jays, when his hands were handcuffed, they lost.

So lets jump up and down and play the blame game on DD, when it clearly might be better to point the blame to where it belongs.

Archived