Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I was getting ready for work when it ended...did anyone ask Showalter about Davis batting 4th? I know it is meaningless at this point, but I would enjoy hearing any logical explanation about Davis hitting 4th. He should not be hitting at all. 

Just now, FanSince88 said:

And honestly we should be holding Davis responsible for Mancini's negative WAR because Davis is the one forcing Trey out of position in LF.  Just disgraceful. 

And Buck continuing to insist on not only playing Davis but batting him in the heart of the order is an abomination.  It's an absolute travesty and makes a mockery of the game of baseball.  

Yeah, leadoff was bad enough. 4th behind Manny is just insulting to the fans and the game.

Davis should not even be playing - in AAA - let alone batting 4th.

If we are forced to play the hand we are dealt, he should be treated as a Rule 5 guy and hit 9th if he plays at all. 

4 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Meanwhile in under two weeks for the equivalent of peanuts, Mark Reynolds has 6 homers and a 1.4 OPS. Nats are lousy with offense and yet they still added Reynolds and Matt Adams for basically nothing.

How are they lousy with offense? They've been in the upper third of MLB offenses for several years. Right now they lead the NL in HRs. 

And it'll help that Matt Adams and Mark Reynolds combine to make less than half of Mark Trumbo's salary. Less than a quarter of Davis'. 

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

How are they lousy with offense? They've been in the upper third of MLB offenses for several years. Right now they lead the NL in HRs. 

And it'll help that Matt Adams and Mark Reynolds combine to make less than half of Mark Trumbo's salary. Less than a quarter of Davis'. 

Bad word choice as it could mean either but I meant they're overloaded with offense and still added good cheap bats. Yet our offseason offensive addition was a guy coming off major injury who quit on his team and then you stick your head in the sand with regard to Davis and when you can shake a tree and a Reynolds/Adams/Cron falls out.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Counterintuitive, perhaps, but "lousy with" means "has a lot of".

Asked about giving the responsibility to a player who’s struggling to such a degree, manager Buck Showalter replied, “He’s not the only one.”

This is an unfortunate truth.

“He’s had good success against Hellickson, too, but we’re trying to space out the left-handers,” Showalter added. “They have three left-handers, one of which being (Sean) Doolittle, you’re trying to attack their starting pitcher and their bullpen and if you line up all the left-handers in a row and all the right-handers in a row, it makes it pretty easy.

“We’re hoping that Chris doing some things ... he’s not the only one having struggles, too. So, it’s kind of like, if not him, then who? So, where does it go? It’s tough. But we have a lot of guys who haven’t really swung the bat like they’re going to or capable of.

“It’s very convenient to pick on Chris and Chris would be the first to tell you that the criticism is part of it and certainly sometimes we’re all deserving of it. But I think everybody you could make a case is having some struggles for the most part with some exceptions.”

masn

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was getting ready for work when it ended...did anyone ask Showalter about Davis batting 4th? I know it is meaningless at this point, but I would enjoy hearing any logical explanation about Davis hitting 4th. He should not be hitting at all. 

I think Frank Robinson could outhit Davis.  Not Frank Robinson when he was an active player, I mean Frank Robinson now.  Since Brady Anderson likes wearing a uniform so much, add him to the team and have him play RF and have Mancini play 1B.  It couldn't be much worse.