Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I know what the problem is. Davis has trouble staying focused. You can tell by watching him on TV. Sometimes its like his mind is far away. It happens to him in the field and at the plate.  He struck out called last year and he wasn't even watching the pitch with his eyes.  That is dangerous. He needs a Dr to correct this. I'm sure there is something legal that he can take to remain focused. Adderall does that...

Just now, Natty said:

I know what the problem is. Davis has trouble staying focused. You can tell by watching him on TV. Sometimes its like his mind is far away. It happens to him in the field and at the plate.  He struck out called last year and he wasn't even watching the pitch with his eyes.  That is dangerous. He needs a Dr to correct this. I'm sure there is something legal that he can take to remain focused. Adderall does that...

Last we checked he had a TUE for ADHD.  I'm pretty sure a doctor is involved with getting one of those.

9 minutes ago, Natty said:

Maybe he is thinking about his kids.  Drugs are never the solution. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last we checked he had a TUE for ADHD.  I'm pretty sure a doctor is involved with getting one of those.

Yea, pretty sure he has been on Vyvanse, at least for the first year after the suspension.  Not sure it has been publicized since then (Hipaa).  

Almost all of these suggestions assume that the problem is one of motivation, approach, and accepting advice.  But the most likely case, to me, is that he simply doesn't have the reaction time, pitch recognition, and other abilities to hit major league pitching any more.

Telling Chris Davis that he needs to win the job back and ride the bus or he'll be cut is like telling me I'll be fired if I can't run an 11-second 100 yard dash.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Almost all of these suggestions assume that the problem is one of motivation, approach, and accepting advice.  But the most likely case, to me, is that he simply doesn't have the reaction time, pitch recognition, and other abilities to hit major league pitching any more.

Telling Chris Davis that he needs to win the job back and ride the bus or he'll be cut is like telling me I'll be fired if I can't run an 11-second 100 yard dash.

We know that he exaggerated how much he worked last off-season so I think it is fair to assume at least part of his decline is effort related.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not only will you get fired because you can't run a 11 second 100 yard dash, but you'll get to keep your money, too.  

I agree, he's just lost it.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I fear that this is the case.    But we’ll see.   

No doubt you're right but you have to give him a reason why he's on the bench until ownership lets you release him.

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not only will you get fired because you can't run a 11 second 100 yard dash, but you'll get to keep your money, too.  

I agree, he's just lost it.  

I agree with this too, but the appearance that he isn't "trying" to do anything is what is troubling.  Just reread the SI article. 

Yet I also wonder if it is "mental."  I mean apparently he does have a medical issue with ADD and has been medicated successfully in the past with a substance that is now banned.  IDK, it would seem to me that he has a gripe in that regard.  Still, if he is unable to do much of anything at the plate nor meaningfully engage in trying to fix the problem, medicated appropriately or not, then he needs to go by whatever mechanism the team can use to remove him from the team.

I'd much rather see someone trying to make it than I would a frustrated Davis abusing his bat over his knee or the clubhouse railing.

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Davis puts up numbers matching his last two years performance that will be easy enough. He should have been riding the pine last season.

I want the decision made in ST not after two months of the season. Mainly I want to see Stewart in LF those two months not Mancini.