Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's too senior for that.  He can refuse, become a free agent and still get paid.

I don't think he can refuse and still get paid. We would just be removing him from the 40 man roster. If he doesn't go to the minors after clearing waivers he would be a free agent. why would he get paid NOT to work?

I just found this with google

If a player has more than three years MLB service or has been previously outrighted, then he can elect to immediately become a free agent without termination pay. The player therefore forgoes any salary or other guarantees under his Major League contract. The player can also choose to accept the outright assignment, in which case he retains the right to elect free agency at the end of the season unless returned to the 40-man roster.

27 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

If a player has more than three years MLB service or has been previously outrighted, then he can elect to immediately become a free agent without termination pay. The player therefore forgoes any salary or other guarantees under his Major League contract. The player can also choose to accept the outright assignment, in which case he retains the right to elect free agency at the end of the season unless returned to the 40-man roster.

Maybe Davis will sign with another team after he opts out of his contract. 

On 3/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, OFFNY said:

o

vs. YANKEES, 3/17 )) (Spring Training)

After reaching base safely 2 times in 4 plate appearances today (an RBI-Single and a Walk), Davis has a respectable .346 OBP in 26 Plate Appearances for Spring Training.

o

o

4 Days Later )) (vs. PIRATES, 3/21)

In 4 Plate appearances today, Davis struck out 3 times and walked once.

His OBP for Spring Training in now at .303.

o

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

The Orioles have to pay Davis. They can not assign him to minor leagues without his permission. If he says no, they still have to pay him. 

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don't think he can refuse and still get paid. We would just be removing him from the 40 man roster. If he doesn't go to the minors after clearing waivers he would be a free agent. why would he get paid NOT to work?

You are incorrect. If it was this easy, then every team would use this and contracts would not really be guaranteed.