Santander

terpoh

2 hours ago, terpoh said:

Anyone heard any reports on Anthony Santander and how he has looked thus far in Sarasota? Seems as though whenever anyone talks about the outfield for this year its some combination of Mullins, Mancini, Rickard, Stewart, Hays and Diaz. Santander seems to be a forgotten guy. I know his numbers with the Orioles have not been great, but he's still young- hoping for the best for him.

I'd rather send Rickard packing and let Santander take his spot if that were doable. I don't know what the stats for Santander are. I don't know if he were able or is able to do what Rickard does. 

What I was most disappointed with last year, was his lack of power.  Five doubles and one home run in over 100 at bats.  I remember him hitting a lot of shots that died out at the warning track.  His numbers in Norfolk/Bowie weren't great either.  

What happened to the player that set the Eastern league on fire for a few weeks in 2017?  The power needs to play.  He doesn't have any other plus skills to make up for it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I'd rather send Rickard packing and let Santander take his spot if that were doable. I don't know what the stats for Santander are. I don't know if he were able or is able to do what Rickard does. 

I dont think either one has done enough to get excited about, but Rickard has a much better track record in AA/AAA than Santander. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why would it be a mistake?  

Because they are new front office people who are beginning a rebuild. And because they don't know what they have yet -- that goes for every player in the system. Nobody is blocking anyone in this organization.

If the front office really were dismissing him or forgetting him rather than considering him as a potential major-leaguer, then they would cut him and be done with it. That could happen in the future, but that it has not happened yet means they have not given up on him.

Finally, in my opinion, Santander's bat still gives him an opportunity to become an MLB player, even if it only as a DH.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Because they are new front office people who are beginning a rebuild. And because they don't know what they have yet -- that goes for every player in the system. Nobody is blocking anyone in this organization.

If the front office really were dismissing him or forgetting him rather than considering him as a potential major-leaguer, then they would cut him and be done with it. That could happen in the future, but that it has not happened yet means they have not given up on him.

Finally, in my opinion, Santander's bat still gives him an opportunity to become an MLB player, even if it only as a DH.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I do disagree with the idea of them not knowing what they have.  They know what they have, specifically Elias.  Elias had to do his homework in order to get the job, that requires scouting of the Orioles and understanding what's in the system. 

He's also had since being hired to take stock of what the system has.

Now, this might be the first time he's seen Santander in person, but I bet Elias has a general idea of what Santander brings to the table and how he can possibly fit.

That said, IMO, Santander hasn't shown enough (granted, it's been a limited amount of time) to make anyone a believer.  

I agree with you when you say, "Now, this might be the first time he's seen Santander in person, but I bet Elias has a general idea of what Santander brings to the table and how he can possibly fit." But I don't think they would be so proud as to proclaim that they "know what they have." Sure they embrace statistical analysis, but I cannot agree with you if you are saying that the discussion ends with the stats or that they don't value the "eye-test."

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

I agree with you when you say, "Now, this might be the first time he's seen Santander in person, but I bet Elias has a general idea of what Santander brings to the table and how he can possibly fit." But I don't think they would be so proud as to proclaim that they "know what they have." Sure they embrace statistical analysis, but I cannot agree with you if you are saying that the discussion ends with the stats or that they don't value the "eye-test."

Sure.  Santander has a hell of a hill to climb though.

I'd like to see him break out as we all would.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I do disagree with the idea of them not knowing what they have.  They know what they have, specifically Elias.  Elias had to do his homework in order to get the job, that requires scouting of the Orioles and understanding what's in the system. 

He's also had since being hired to take stock of what the system has.

Now, this might be the first time he's seen Santander in person, but I bet Elias has a general idea of what Santander brings to the table and how he can possibly fit.

That said, IMO, Santander hasn't shown enough (granted, it's been a limited amount of time) to make anyone a believer.  

I read Astroball over the weekend.   One thing that became clear is that they have a lot of advanced monitoring equipment analyzing pitchers' deliveries and hitters mechanics.   And there were several occasions described where they were able to use the results they saw from this monitoring to improve pitchers' or hitters' approach or mechanics, and saw significant statistical improvement.

The Orioles minor leaguers have never been analyzed this way because the Orioles did not have the equipment in in place in the past.

So giving up on anyone in the system who has potential or upside before you've gotten a chance see if there are adjustments he could make probably isn't a great idea.   

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’ve got five weeks to figure that out.   

Haha, that just hit me. We have 5 weeks of optimism until the day-to-day misery sets in. 

Back to Santander... Santander has always looked jacked to me when I’ve seen him. Also he looks toolsy in RF. Strong arm. Athletic. He just needs to put it all together now. Hopefully he’s healthy and tears up Bowie to start the year. I wouldn’t start him in AAA. 

On a side note, Anuery Tavarez looks like he’s never hit above AA for the Red Sox org. 

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

I read Astroball over the weekend.   One thing that became clear is that they have a lot of advanced monitoring equipment analyzing pitchers' deliveries and hitters mechanics.   And there were several occasions described where they were able to use the results they saw from this monitoring to improve pitchers' or hitters' approach or mechanics, and saw significant statistical improvement.

The Orioles minor leaguers have never been analyzed this way because the Orioles did not have the equipment in in place in the past.

So giving up on anyone in the system who has potential or upside before you've gotten a chance see if there are adjustments he could make probably isn't a great idea.   

Sure, but I'm not getting my hopes up.