The Davis Release Poll

interloper

The Davis Poll - Make Your Prediction  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: How long does he last? Stake your claim!! [2019-2020]

• Released before the start of the 2019 regular season
    • Released during the 2019 season before the All Star break
    • Released during the 2019 All Star break (7/8 thru 7/11)
    • Released after the 2019 All Star break but before the end of the season (7/12 thru 9/29)
    • Released during the MLB postseason
    • Released during the offseason
    • Released during ST 2020
    • He is not released and makes it to regular season 2020

13 hours ago, atomic said:

My calculations he is owed 107.7 million.  23 * 3 for the salaries for 3 seasons after this is 69 million.  For the first 4 seasons 7 million is deferred that is 28 million.  He has a played a 1/3 rd of the season which he is due 16 million that leaves 10.7 million.

Yeah, I’m not counting the deferred money relating to the seasons he’s played already and the rest of this season.    If he retired voluntarily today, he’d still have that money coming to him.   So when I think about how much money we’d have to “eat” by cutting him, I only consider the money we wouldn’t have to pay him if he quit.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m not counting the deferred money relating to the seasons he’s played already and the rest of this season.    If he retired voluntarily today, he’d still have that money coming to him.   So when I think about how much money we’d have to “eat” by cutting him, I only consider the money we wouldn’t have to pay him if he quit.    

But when we traded O'Day the Braves picked up his deferred money.  I think to the owners that money is money that could be saved if he ever got good enough that another team would trade for him. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

But when we traded O'Day the Braves picked up his deferred money.  I think to the owners that money is money that could be saved if he ever got good enough that another team would trade for him. 

That’s one way to look at it.   In this case, I’m pretty sure no team is taking Davis off our hands, with or without his deferred money.    

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s one way to look at it.   In this case, I’m pretty sure no team is taking Davis off our hands, with or without his deferred money.    

You would need to package Davis with the next Mike Trout to make a team consider picking up Davis' contract. Except if the Orioles did have the next Mike Trout in their farm system, they would be better off just eating Davis' contract and keep the super prospect. 

59 minutes ago, atomic said:

But when we traded O'Day the Braves picked up his deferred money.  I think to the owners that money is money that could be saved if he ever got good enough that another team would trade for him

You've got to be kidding.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Correct, which is a lot of money to eat, in spite of the keyboard GMs demanding his release.

I guess the idea is to begin to make up some of the "sunk money" with wins and respectable play generating fan interest and spending.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Just throw in AR with next years number 1 overall pick and you will be cooking with gas.

19 hours ago, interloper said:

Figured I'd update since we're entering "Davis is starting to crunch the roster" territory and also "Davis is not really any better" territory. 

To be clear: I route for the guy, I really do. I am a Chris Davis fan. It was really fun when he had that good stretch. He may have more good stretches! We'll see.

In the meantime:

2.42% guessed wrong that he'd be released before the season. 

18.18% await the All Star break to see if they were correct. This selection includes some OH veterans who have staked their name.

6.06% rolled the dice on a small window of time in which Davis gets released DURING the AS break. 

See you on July 9 for the next update.

Same, very much so; it sure was; and boy, I hope you're right. We will see, indeed. I remain stubbornly hopeful.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Correct, which is a lot of money to eat, in spite of the keyboard GMs demanding his release.

You seem to be mocking the idea of releasing a guy who is well into year number two of providing minus-$28M in surplus value.  This isn't some SportsGuy special, a five-way trade involving compensation picks and six PTBNL and signing Mark Teixeira... This is releasing someone who's four wins below replacement in his last 1200 PAs.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You seem to be mocking the idea of releasing a guy who is well into year number two of providing minus-$28M in surplus value.  This isn't some SportsGuy special, a five-way trade involving compensation picks and six PTBNL and signing Mark Teixeira... This is releasing someone who's four wins below replacement in his last 1200 PAs.

I understand all the metrics.

But, the end of the day, the almighty dollar rules, and I dont see ownership cutting ties this season.

Sorry, but, I dont think it will happen.

Been many a case with players skillset is shot and the high dollar, and for the most part, the owners kept that player around longer than what was good for the team.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

I guess the idea is to begin to make up some of the "sunk money" with wins and respectable play generating fan interest and spending.

A majority of the team's operating budget is coming from Cable TV money, not Joe Blow Fan in the seats, buying beers.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think everyone on here is fine with releasing Chris Davis today.  But none of use owe him an additional $107 million dollars. I guess the thought even if there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of them getting some of that money back it is worth it to keep him. As the team is making  no effort to win games I don't really see the big issue. 

I mean Richie Martin is just as bad as Chris Davis and makes the league minimum and no one is talking about releasing him. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I mean Richie Martin is just as bad as Chris Davis and makes the league minimum and no one is talking about releasing him. 

Richie Martin is 24, played last year in AA, should have several years of growth ahead of him, and lots of people are talking about returning him to the A's because he's been terrible so far.