The Davis Release Poll

interloper

The Davis Poll - Make Your Prediction  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: How long does he last? Stake your claim!! [2019-2020]

• Released before the start of the 2019 regular season
    • Released during the 2019 season before the All Star break
    • Released during the 2019 All Star break (7/8 thru 7/11)
    • Released after the 2019 All Star break but before the end of the season (7/12 thru 9/29)
    • Released during the MLB postseason
    • Released during the offseason
    • Released during ST 2020
    • He is not released and makes it to regular season 2020

50 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Richie Martin is 24, played last year in AA, should have several years of growth ahead of him, and lots of people are talking about returning him to the A's because he's been terrible so far.

The A's have just told the Orioles about their no return policy.

I think he will be released in the offseason, assuming that he continues to hit well below .200 with little power.  I think by that point, Elias will be able to convince ownership that there is no way Davis will ever again be a viable major league player.  

I don't think there's any urgency to releasing Davis before then.  Mountcastle still has things to work on in AAA (defense, patience).  They can call Mountcastle up in September and give him regular at bats, and pencil him as their every day first baseman for next year.  Mancini may be traded this summer, which would create more room if they wanted to get Mountcastle up sooner.  

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think he will be released in the offseason, assuming that he continues to hit well below .200 with little power.  I think by that point, Elias will be able to convince ownership that there is no way Davis will ever again be a viable major league player.  

I don't think there's any urgency to releasing Davis before then.  Mountcastle still has things to work on in AAA (defense, patience).  They can call Mountcastle up in September and give him regular at bats, and pencil him as their every day first baseman for next year.  Mancini may be traded this summer, which would create more room if they wanted to get Mountcastle up sooner.  

I dont see Mancini going anywhere

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What does Mountcastle has to do before he's "ready"?

Start walking more would definitely help his case. Its possible Mountcastle isnt looking swift defensively. But I haven't read anything about that. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Start walking more would definitely help his case. Its possible Mountcastle isnt looking swift defensively. But I haven't read anything about that. 

So he should abandon the approach that has let to his success and concentrate on walking?

What if his walk rate doubles but his K's spike and his average and power drop?

Will he be more ready?

It is looking like he's never going to walk much.  Maybe facing ML pitching will force him to be more selective.

I'm not campaigning for him to get promoted right now I just don't care for the when he's ready argument.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he should abandon the approach that has let to his success and concentrate on walking?

What if his walk rate doubles but his K's spike and his average and power drop?

Will he be more ready?

It is looking like he's never going to walk much.  Maybe facing ML pitching will force him to be more selective.

I'm not campaigning for him to get promoted right now I just don't care for the when he's ready argument.

If we were a contending team, I’d be tempted to call up Mountcastle now.   I’m a big fan of giving players significant AAA experience before calling them up, absent special circumstances.    Well, he now has had 225 PA of AAA experience without a hiccup.    The only question would be whether he’s playing a decent 1B.

But, we’re not a contending team, and it’s fine to let Mountcastle continue working on stuff in AAA while we do what’s best for the long term success of the team.