O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

36 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I agree with this. I hadn't looked at Severino's stats before last night's game, but what stood out is he is taking way more walks than he ever did in the past. Aside from the walks/OBP, he did hit like this while in AAA for the Nationals. 

With the Nats Severino walked in 8.9% of PAs.  With the O's it 10.0%. Small uptick.

With the Nats Severino had one brief, 33-game stint in AAA where he OPS'd .756.  His overall AAA OPS is .664.  His career minor league OPS is .642, and his career OPS as a pro, including this year, is .645.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

With the Nats Severino walked in 8.9% of PAs.  With the O's it 10.0%. Small uptick.

With the Nats Severino had one brief, 33-game stint in AAA where he OPS'd .756.  His overall AAA OPS is .664.  His career minor league OPS is .642, and his career OPS as a pro, including this year, is .645.

Kinda reminds me of Sandy Leon. Now Pedro is younger, but certainly signs point to him crashing back down, or becoming a huge outlier. 

12 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Kinda reminds me of Sandy Leon. Now Pedro is younger, but certainly signs point to him crashing back down, or becoming a huge outlier. 

Hopefully he stays hitting well enough to be an attractive trade piece at the deadline.  Sell when the stock is high.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yeah nothing in his minor league stats would indicate he is a good hitter.  But he has played well this year.  I will be rooting for him to keep it going while having realistic expectations going forward. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

And if you're getting 200 AB as a backup catcher, those are 200 spread out ABs. Backup catchers have it the worst, they are never able to get on any kind of roll. 

He had plenty of at bats in the minors and he never got anything going there.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's getting it going now! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah like I said I hope he continues to keep hitting like he has but his prior stats do not point to it.  He could be the unicorn we have been looking for. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah like I said I hope he continues to keep hitting like he has but his prior stats do not point to it.  He could be the unicorn we have been looking for. 

I don't think unicorns would make for very good baseball players. Not sure their horns would pass the strict MLB bat restrictions. :)

I'd guess that big spikes like Severino's would most frequently be with catchers - because of all of the demands of the position.  it might not be until later in their careers that they have the time to focus on significant changes to their hitting approach. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't think unicorns would make for very good baseball players. Not sure their horns would pass the strict MLB bat restrictions. :)

I want to hear it. If we can trade a catcher for a legit return, I'm all for it. We are in a rebuild and we did just draft AR after all.

With that said, I think he'd have to rake through July to net a serious return this year. Anything mediocre and the offers will be next to nothing. I think it's more likely that he'd get a better return if he can be good through the full season. We can always hope. (well, Drungo can't, but the rest of us can. :) )

Severino 

1.222 OPS vs lefties

760 OPS vs righties

Severino will probably start most games vs lefties.  Sisco will see his action vs righties.   Severino probably will play vs  running teams and as a defensive replacement late in games.  That s my guess.   Probably they will be the duo from now until Adley arrives in 2021.

32 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

No one wants to hear this, but they really should be looking to trade Severino. 

Even if next years rotation includes Means, Bundy, Cobb, Akins, Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells?

The major problem with the current team is pitching.   Depending on who gets promoted from Bowie to Norfolk  in the 2nd half this season the pitching  could get better next season.  Not playoff better but player development better.

I agree that if some team is willing to over pay the O's have to listen to all offers.  But considering how many teams are going to be sellers in July the offers may not knock Elias over.