Delmarva Shorebirds 2019

Frobby

Grayson Rodriguez and Adam Hall were named to the postseason All Star Team along with manager Kyle Moore and coach Justin Ramsey.

Grayson Rodriguez also named "Most Outstanding MLB Prospect".

Similar to the Eastern League, there are 11 position players and only 3 pitchers on the All Star Team. Seems dumb.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Grayson Rodriguez and Adam Hall were named to the postseason All Star Team along with manager Kyle Moore and coach Justin Ramsey.

Grayson Rodriguez also named "Most Outstanding MLB Prospect".

Similar to the Eastern League, there are 11 position players and only 3 pitchers on the All Star Team. Seems dumb.

Sweet, maybe they have done enough they won't have to repeat the level.

• Upvote 1

With four games left in the regular season, Delmarva and Hickory are tied for the Northern Division second half title at 40-25.     In the final four games, Delmarva hosts Kannapolis (34-32) while Hickory hosts Lexington (29-36).     So, Hickory has the slightly easier path.   

Looks like we have Wilson, Guance and Litscher starting the next three days, with the season finale TBD.   That’s normally Fenter’s turn, but they might want to hold him back for the playoffs.

As previously explained, regardless of who wins the second half title, Delmarva and Hickory will face off in the first round of the  Sally League playoffs, with Hickory hosting game 1 and Delmarva hosting games 2 and 3 (if a third game is needed).

Final prospect report in The Athletic published today. An opposing team's scout offers his thoughts on some Shorebirds prospects.

Most notable are his thoughts on Grayson Rodriguez, the scout saw him twice plus the Future's Game. He says that he was concerned that both times he saw him, his velocity crashed from 96-97 early in games to 89-91 later on. I haven't heard this observation, and I didn't see it the one time I saw Rodriguez, hopefully Luke will jump in to refute this, perhaps the scout just caught him at a bad time. Due to this, the scout seems him as a potential 3-4 starter, but concedes that he will be an MLB starter.

Gonna go with the big block quote on his opinion on Adam Hall because I think it is interesting:

Scout’s take: “Love him. But he’s a second baseman, not a shortstop. But he’s a baseball player. He comes to beat your ass every night. He’s not afraid of anything. He got screwed one night on a strike call by an umpire and he told him, ‘You F-ing suck. You’re horrible.’ A 20-year-old having the balls to do that? And he was right, the guy was horrible. My comp on him is Ian Kinsler. He brings it. He hits. He plays defense. He steals bases. He hits the ball back to the pitcher and runs his ass off to first. He’s aggressive on the bases. He never gives away at-bats. He’s got pitch recognition. Honestly, he was one of my favorite players to watch this year. Like Scott Kingery, his sum is greater than the individual parts.”

He sees Drew Rom as a back of the rotation starter, Gray Fenter as an up and down guy between the majors and the minors, hasn't given up on JC Encarnacion, confused why Nick Vespi hasn't moved up to Frederick, considers Horvath a fringy prospect who could be an extra outfielder if he sticks in center and can steal bases, doesn't think Seamus Curran's raw power plays enough to make the Majors, wants to see more of Ruben Garcia but considers him an interesting one-inning reliever.

Enjoyable series and I am glad Connolly was able to do this. Obviously it is only one scouts opinion, and that opinion is less informed than an Orioles scout who sees the players more often would be, but his opinion is also less filtered, so it is an interesting view.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that they skipped over the many pitchers who are doing well at Aberdeen.   

Prizina and Pendergast got promted to Aberdeen along with Yett and Tavarez .

But yeah, not having seen Roth pitch, I'm not sure why he was bumped 2 levels. I know a bit about Prizina and Garrett Farmer, but nothing about any of the DII/DIII guys in the GCL.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Shorebirds go into the final day of the regular season tied for the second half division title, at 41-27.    Adam Stauffer is listed as today’s starter, so it looks like the Shorebirds have decided to save Fenter for the playoffs.     

Stauffer has a .90 WHIP and a 1.24 KIP (strikeouts per innings pitched) between A-/A ball. 

The Shorebirds added Morgan McSweeney, Kade Strowd, Andrew Fregia, and a rehabbing Jaylen Ferguson from Aberdeen for their playoff roster. 

McSweeney can run his fastball into the mid-90s and has a high spin breaking ball. He pitched 23.2 innings for the Ironbirds with a 1.90 ERA, 11.4 K/9, 4.6 BB/9

Strowd was mostly a low 90s guy, but t96 in his most recent outing, has a quick, deceptive arm action, and a 4 pitch mix. He pitched 17 innings for the Ironbirds with a 0 ERA, 10.1 K/9, 3.7 BB/9 and a very strong batted ball profile, only allowing 11.9% Outfield FBs. 

Fregia is a super-utility type who has played every position but C and P this year. He's a big swing and miss guy with fringe power, so the glove and positional flexibility are the strengths. Just an org guy.

Ferguson would be an interesting prospect if he had the arm for CF as he's a speedy dude with some power that can hit a fastball. But he has trouble with spin and is limited to a corner. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Can't add from above.

Out of curiosity, why couldn't the Orioles assign DL Hall to the Shorebirds?  Not that I want them to.  But, what prevents a team from doing that.  They could always say that they wanted him to up his innings count.