Hunter Harvey 2019

wildcard

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

What a phenomenal development this is.

I like it, but is it really a phenomenal development? Is it really surprising that a guy who has t98 regularly in a 80+ pitch outings without a ton of effort could t100 in a 30 pitch outing? 

I see Harvey’s two consecutive good outings as positive news, but I’m not turning cartwheels just yet. I’d like to see him stay healthy and pitch well consistently over the second half of the season.    And if it turns out that he’s a reliever, not a starting pitcher, I’m always going to have mixed feelings about that outcome even if he performs well in that role.   

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see Harvey’s two consecutive good outings as positive news, but I’m not turning cartwheels just yet. I’d like to see him stay healthy and pitch well consistently over the second half of the season.    And if it turns out that he’s a reliever, not a starting pitcher, I’m always going to have mixed feelings about that outcome even if he performs well in that role.   

If he turns out to be a dominant reliever I absolutely see that as a win.

With that said, I'm not giving up on him as a starter either.  As I've said elsewhere he's barely pitched in 3 years.  Maybe being a reliever helps him ease back into it a bit.  He's kind of an oddball for me - I have low expectations, but high hopes.  Low floor, high ceiling.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If Harvey dominates coming out of the bullpen in the second half will he be viewed differently as a prospect? Could it put him back on the national map as a top 100 type of guy at the end of the year?

I doubt it, if it continues to be in three inning spurts. Few pitchers are ever in the top 100 that are already relievers .

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I know he didn’t make the transition until after he made it to the bigs, but I have no mixed feelings about Britton transitioning to the bullpen and becoming a dominant closer. I’ve been waiting for this move and I’m glad the new front office has gone this direction. Harvey could be a significant contributor to out of the bullpen next season if this sticks. 

8 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

L-Outré!

Hunter Harvey was left for dead by many, now he’s had back to back positive outings throwing 99-100 in a new role. I don’t believe he hits 98 mph after 80 pitches with any regularity. 

What’s phenomenal isn’t necessarily surprising, Luke. Chicken lo mein is always phenomenal. That said, I imagine seeing Hunter hit 100mph is a surprise to most here... we don’t all have the same access & time invested - to & in - the minor league guys. The fact that Hunter is healthy enough to pitch at all is phenomenal news to me... a healthy Hunter is not something we have been able to count on, so I certainly wasn’t counting on seeing multiple innings of 99-100mph out of him in 2019. 

Last Sept I had Hunter as my #5 O’s prospect, I’m a big fan of the talent — seeing him hit 100 renews the hope I had begun to lose in him... what a gift that is, the return of hope in a favorite prospect.

?

I give you props just for that much research to support your claim. 

Harvey has touched these velocities in the past, but has never sat at these velocities. Now I was using the gun from the broadcast, but I've watched several games (the Hartford has the best minor league broadcasts that I've seen so far this year) and the velocities have been pretty on par for what we know about pitchers.

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

If he turns out to be a dominant reliever I absolutely see that as a win.

With that said, I'm not giving up on him as a starter either.  As I've said elsewhere he's barely pitched in 3 years.  Maybe being a reliever helps him ease back into it a bit.  He's kind of an oddball for me - I have low expectations, but high hopes.  Low floor, high ceiling.

I agree. There is value in that role and if Harvey is closing out games in 2021-2024 no one will be complaining about that pick.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. There is value in that role and if Harvey is closing out games in 2021-2024 no one will be complaining about that pick.

Becoming Josh Hader would certainly be OK with me...lol   Or Bryan Harvey circa 1991...46 saves, 1.60 ERA, All Star

3 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

GrayRod, Hall, Harvey, Kremer, Akin/Baumann/Sedlock/Zimmerman/Lowther....dare I say a new Calvary has arrived?!

I'll get my hat. 

“Arrived” might be premature.    If you look off in the distance, you might see a cloud of dust on the prairie headed this way.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1