Hunter Harvey 2019

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Still hoping he can get through the season healthy and that they don’t rush him because of the lack of options. OTOH, it wouldn’t be horrible if he continues to progress at Norfolk in his current role and is a Sept call up.

In other news, Chris Lee is still around?

This is only Harvey’s second option.   No reason to rush him.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I just noticed how late it breaks. Wynns reaches out for it to catch it and that is when it runs back arm side.

That is the type of action that would start off at the end of the bat and end up shattering the bat at the hands.

Nasty. If it were any other pitcher I’d say give them the rest of the year in AAA to develop, but I think it would be such a cool story to see him pitch in Baltimore. The dude has overcame so much. Plus there’s only so many bullets in the arm. 

Harvey was pitching in Norfolk today and game was on TV here.  He struggled with his command and walked 3 and allowed a bloop on broken bat hit and 1 k in one inning.   The gun had him at 96-98 and a nice breaking ball that had the hitters way out front of it and very late break.  He was getting in front of himself though a lot and losing the fastball arm side quite a bit which caused the walks.  The stuff is there to be a nice piece in the pen imo but command still not where you want.   

He had quite a few friends and family in the stands it sounded like coming home to Charlotte area.  I saw him pitch twice at Bandy’s In high school when the Orioles were in attendance before drafting.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

McInturff:

“Shifting to the bullpen full-time, has the tools to get to the big leagues quickly if he takes to new role. FB/CB could play up in shorter outings and give upside of setup reliever. Significant injury history adds risk and could ultimately impact his longevity.”

Rates fastball velocity a 70 but command at 40.    

https://2080baseball.com/reports/hunter-harvey-2/

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

What is McInturff's reputation? A good scout or a repeater of what others say? (I noticed the agreement with Law on  Rodriguez--so is he basically copying Law or stating an independent opinion?)

All I know is, he sees the players play in person.    I have no reason to think he’s just copying Law, as he certainly has a higher opinion overall about Rodriguez than Law does.    But how good a scout he is, I have no idea.    He works for the same site that our poster Stotle (Nick Faleris) does, which is pretty reputable.    

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All I know is, he sees the players play in person.    I have no reason to think he’s just copying Law, as he certainly has a higher opinion overall about Rodriguez than Law does.    But how good a scout he is, I have no idea.    He works for the same site that our poster Stotle (Nick Faleris) does, which is pretty reputable.    

No mention of the splitter previously lauded by Luke.

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

What is McInturff's reputation? A good scout or a repeater of what others say? (I noticed the agreement with Law on  Rodriguez--so is he basically copying Law or stating an independent opinion?)

He was actually a scout for the Orioles at one point.

• Upvote 1