Rough start for Chance Sisco

ChuckS

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

And Ownership or GM has nothing to do with the hand that Buck was dealt with?

Oh I’m not arguing that at all, there’s no doubt that Buck was given terrible players, but there’s also no doubt that he made decision after decision that was not focused on defense. 

I’ve often said that I don’t know how much responsibility for the roster was buck. The GM’s job is to get the players, so one assumes that Dan was getting all the designated hitters, And maybe it was Dan who decided to allow Manny to play short instead of third, but from game to game the Lineup in the field never seemed to prioritize defense.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The stats dont looked that bad for Chris, looking at his dWAR.

I think he was a very good defensive catcher, but he did not have a great arm.  He did get better at throwing over time, but was never that great at throwing out runners. 

I think he called a great game and was very good at blocking balls in the dirt.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Check out his SB numbers.

He had good and bad seasons, some he was higher than league avg and some he stunk

2 of those bad years, the Orioles went to the ALCS. So obviously they had a solid team around the diamond..

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Not trying to be snarky, but why should he get a ML chance soon? His hot streak has his OPS up to .750. That's not exactly dominant and the sample size is small either way. He has negative defensive value. I'm not saying the org should give up on the kid, but he's one of the last people I want to see in an O's uniform anytime soon. I'd rather see him anywhere else on the field to see if he can be league average defender someplace else, while also trying to see some consistency with the bat over time. Promoting him would just stunt whatever developmental plan they have, IMO.

We are going to lose 110 game this year.  Every major league ready player should get a chance at some point if he's producing in Norfolk, including Chance.  He has some throwing issues, but the running game has little impact in ML games anymore.  I don't think the other parts of his defensive game are as bad as others have made it out to be.  He's competent at blocking the plate and calling a game and there is nothing wrong with him working on those things at the major league level.  

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We are going to lose 110 game this year.  Every major league ready player should get a chance at some point if he's producing in Norfolk, including Chance.  He has some throwing issues, but the running game has little impact in ML games anymore.  I don't think the other parts of his defensive game are as bad as others have made it out to be.  He's competent at blocking the plate and calling a game and there is nothing wrong with him working on those things at the major league level.  

Ok. I disagree, but I did ask. 

I think his glove is more of a liability than you are saying and I unfortunately don't have confidence that his bat is positive enough to make up for his glove. 110 losses or not, I'd rather him focus on building a ML-caliber profile in AAA than coming up and failing at what we really think he'll likely fail at. 

50 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Ok. I disagree, but I did ask. 

I think his glove is more of a liability than you are saying and I unfortunately don't have confidence that his bat is positive enough to make up for his glove. 110 losses or not, I'd rather him focus on building a ML-caliber profile in AAA than coming up and failing at what we really think he'll likely fail at. 

My feeling is, I’ll let Elias figure it out.    I’m not down there watching Sisco play defense at Norfolk.   Both Elias and Hyde made favorable comments about his defense this spring, but the fact that they grabbed Severino at the 11th hour and have promoted Wynns over Sisco now tells you that they may have just been blowing smoke.   (It should be noted that Sisco’s offensive numbers at Norfolk were pretty bad as of the day Wynns was called up, so that may have been a factor too.).    Hopefully Sisco keeps raking the way he has for the last 11 games, and keeps working on his defense.    If he does, my guess is he’ll be back in the majors at some point this season. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My feeling is, I’ll let Elias figure it out.    I’m not down there watching Sisco play defense at Norfolk.   Both Elias and Hyde made favorable comments about his defense this spring, but the fact that they grabbed Severino at the 11th hour and have promoted Wynns over Sisco now tells you that they may have just been blowing smoke.   (It should be noted that Sisco’s offensive numbers at Norfolk were pretty bad as of the day Wynns was called up, so that may have been a factor too.).    Hopefully Sisco keeps raking the way he has for the last 11 games, and keeps working on his defense.    If he does, my guess is he’ll be back in the majors at some point this season. 

If Wynns doesn't start hitting, they may flip flop those two soon.

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Wynns doesn't start hitting, they may flip flop those two soon.

Well, it’s only been two games.    But to be honest, I was a bit surprised they promoted him so quickly after he returned from his injury.

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, it’s only been two games.    But to be honest, I was a bit surprised they promoted him so quickly after he returned from his injury.

After the quick promotion I was a bit surprised Sucre ended up in Norfolk.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was shocked too. He said he hadn't heard anything the night I saw him in Bowie and the next day they moved him to Norfolk. Figured it would take until atleast mid/late June for either him or Sisco to go up. 

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

After the quick promotion I was a bit surprised Sucre ended up in Norfolk.

He knew they need him in relief. Maybe he worked out a contract as a catcher and middle reliever?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wynn’s is over 4 years older than Sisco.  And I don’t remember Sisco making bone head plays like Wynn did.  I am tired of hearing someone is better defensively than Sisco and yet they turn out to be terrible.  

9 hours ago, atomic said:

Wynn’s is over 4 years older than Sisco.  And I don’t remember Sisco making bone head plays like Wynn did.  I am tired of hearing someone is better defensively than Sisco and yet they turn out to be terrible.  

I’m a Sisco fan.   Long term, I’d rather watch him than Wynns.    But one terrible play by Wynns doesn’t make him a terrible defender.  I thought he looked solid last year, when I was paying attention, which admittedly wasn’t often.  

Archived