Keegan Akin 2019

ChuckS

An excellent game for Akin today, 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K’s.    Three of the four batters who got on base loaded the bases with one out in the third, but Akin induced a DP grounder to escape the jam.   He threw 85 pitches, 58 for strikes, and lowered his ERA to 3.60, which currently ranks 4th in the league among pitchers with at least 5 starts (Akin has made 8).

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Awesome.

If he keeps stringing together some good starts I would think a post ASG call up would be in the works.  Though I'm not sure how the organization feels about Akin - I was pretty shocked that he didn't get a ST invite.

If he pitches well, he’ll eventually get his chances.    He’s been sort of off and on this year, but this makes consecutive very good outings so hopefully he’s getting his sea legs.   

On 5/11/2019 at 12:44 AM, orioles22 said:

I agree he's the best Norfolk starter, but his long-term development should not be trumped by the Orioles' need for a starting pitcher. I'd like to see him get a full season of AAA and, hopefully, he won't be one of those guys going back and forth for the next three years. I hope he can be our No. 4 or 5 next year in Baltimore.

I don't know that I agree a full season of AAA is necessary, but I'd certainly like to see him comfortably eclipse the 9 starts and 45.2 IP that David Hess got at Norfolk.  For comparison's sake, Akin is now at 8 starts and 40 IP for Norfolk on the season after today's start.  The reports of his velocity from Luke and others are certainly encouraging, if he accumulates another 6-7 starts and continues to pitch well I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him up.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If he pitches well, he’ll eventually get his chances.    He’s been sort of off and on this year, but this makes consecutive very good outings so hopefully he’s getting his sea legs.   

It's all about the changeup IMO, some days he has it and is aggressive in the zone, but when he doesn't have it, he nibbles and walks guys and gets in bad counts. I think it's more a confidence thing than anything, the fastball, when it has good velocity (92-95 t96), plays in the zone, especially if he's not backed into fastball counts and the slurve works on lefties and righties

• Upvote 1

I'm an advocate for moving Rodriguez, Kremer and Sedlock up a level, but I'd rather see the AAA guys get a year. I'd like to see Akin win IL pitcher of the year after winning it last year in the Eastern League. It seems we move the AAA guys up too soon and they stay on a track and back forth, like Hess and Scott and others.

33 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I don't know that I agree a full season of AAA is necessary, but I'd certainly like to see him comfortably eclipse the 9 starts and 45.2 IP that David Hess got at Norfolk.  For comparison's sake, Akin is now at 8 starts and 40 IP for Norfolk on the season after today's start.  The reports of his velocity from Luke and others are certainly encouraging, if he accumulates another 6-7 starts and continues to pitch well I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him up.  

This sounds about right to me.  It's not like the O's are trying to contend this year.  If they decide they've seen enough of (say) Dan Straily, they can always call up someone like Tyler Herb to make a few starts and get his name in the Baseball Encyclopedia.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I'm an advocate for moving Rodriguez, Kremer and Sedlock up a level, but I'd rather see the AAA guys get a year. I'd like to see Akin win IL pitcher of the year after winning it last year in the Eastern League. It seems we move the AAA guys up too soon and they stay on a track and back forth, like Hess and Scott and others.

I agree. Am in no hurry to see Akin in Baltimore. I like the kid from what I know, but he's still developing. Why rush it when you don't have to?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I agree. Am in no hurry to see Akin in Baltimore. I like the kid from what I know, but he's still developing. Why rush it when you don't have to?

Well, if you want to promote other guys from the lower levels you have to make room up above.   Other than that, I don’t see a good reason to move anyone soon.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, if you want to promote other guys from the lower levels you have to make room up above.   Other than that, I don’t see a good reason to move anyone soon.  

Not sure about the others or where the spots are available. Some moves are more necessary (like Knight/McCoy's promotions). The other poster mentioned Sedlock and Grayson. I can see reasons not to promote either very soon, but both are trying to force the issue for sure. However, I'm not sure that Elias is all that motivated by production. He obviously cares, but might care more about getting Sedlock healthy, relatively low stress innings, for example.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, the good reason would be that MLB experience is still MLB experience.  There's value in being patient and learning at AAA, but there's also value in facing MLB batters and gaining experience and seeing how you need to improve.  I agree the Orioles should be in no rush, but I'm not a big fan of letting guys spin their wheels at a level either just to meet some predetermined level of experience.  And Akin's certainly not at that point yet anyway.

We'll just have to wait and see.  Previous regimes showed that they deserved no benefit of the doubt in terms of developing pitchers so hopefully Elias and Co. can improve upon that.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

True, but it looks like Norfolk's rotation is very thin - it wouldn't hurt the Orioles' future to replace anyone except Akin. I'm for giving Ortiz more chances, even though that trade looks pretty bad right now.

Bowie's rotation isn't that strong either, which is why Kremer should be there yesterday and Sedlock in a few weeks if he keeps winning.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Well, the good reason would be that MLB experience is still MLB experience.  There's value in being patient and learning at AAA, but there's also value in facing MLB batters and gaining experience and seeing how you need to improve.  I agree the Orioles should be in no rush, but I'm not a big fan of letting guys spin their wheels at a level either just to meet some predetermined level of experience.  And Akin's certainly not at that point yet anyway.

We'll just have to wait and see.  Previous regimes showed that they deserved no benefit of the doubt in terms of developing pitchers so hopefully Elias and Co. can improve upon that.

Major league experience didn't help Hess and Scott and some other pitchers who don't come to mind at the moment because they were so easily forgotten. I'd rather have them knock down the door at AAA instead of moving up because they are the best of a bad group.

I am all for moving Rodriguez and Knight (who was moved recently) after they prove they are dominant at a level and others who fit that description. I just think the move to the majors should be a little tougher.

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

True, but it looks like Norfolk's rotation is very thin - it wouldn't hurt the Orioles' future to replace anyone except Akin. I'm for giving Ortiz more chances, even though that trade looks pretty bad right now.

Bowie's rotation isn't that strong either, which is why Kremer should be there yesterday and Sedlock in a few weeks if he keeps winning.

You mean the trade that sent Schoop (.6 WAR since the trade and making 8.5M this year) for Villar (2.0 WAR since the trade and making 2.6M this year) + Ortiz and Carmona. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You mean the trade that sent Schoop (.6 WAR since the trade and making 8.5M this year) for Villar (2.0 WAR since the trade and making 2.6M this year) + Ortiz and Carmona. 

There's no arguing with the pessimists. I've had this argument like 10 times.