Brett Cumberland

WalkWithElias

Catcher Brett Cumberland snuck back into our lives this week. The team's #27 prospect by OH ranking has bashed 2 home runs in his first 4 games back in Bowie. 

MiLB Profile

Cumberland was a bat-first catcher acquired in the Gausman deal with Atlanta. He was a competitive balance pick in 2016. I remember seeing him all over the place depending on the rankings at the time of the trade. Some evaluators saw him as a future big league contributor and others weren't as high. At 23 years old and in Bowie, I'd guess we'd know the answer to that question this summer. 

1 minute ago, WalkWithElias said:

Catcher Brett Cumberland snuck back into our lives this week. The team's #27 prospect by OH ranking has bashed 2 home runs in his first 4 games back in Bowie. 

MiLB Profile

Cumberland was a bat-first catcher acquired in the Gausman deal with Atlanta. He was a competitive balance pick in 2016. I remember seeing him all over the place depending on the rankings at the time of the trade. Some evaluators saw him as a future big league contributor and others weren't as high. At 23 years old and in Bowie, I'd guess we'd know the answer to that question this summer. 

Not only was he a competitive balance pick, the pick used was the one the O's sent to Atlanta in the Matusz salary dump.

25 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Wasn’t Matusz dealt to the cubs?

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was not.

19 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

He went to the Braves and then was immediately DFA'd by them.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/orioles-trade-brian-matusz.html

And the Cubs picked him up after that, briefly.    Wonder what he’s doing with his life these days?

2 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

He signed with Arizona in 2017, played for Reno and was released in May of 2017.

I figured he was out of pro baseball.   I was more wondering what a 32-year old who has made $17 mm playing baseball does with the rest of his life.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Best part of that, for me, was watching folks try and talk up the warm bodies the Braves sent over.  If I recall correctly it was a pair of 16th round college pitchers. 

Hopers gotta hope.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Brandon Barker was one of the two.   I forget the other guy.  

Brandon Barker and Trevor Belicek.

Webbrick said they would have better careers than DJ Stewart.

Barker pitched in AA and indy ball last year.  Belicek played some Indy ball in 2017.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Best part of that, for me, was watching folks try and talk up the warm bodies the Braves sent over.  If I recall correctly it was a pair of 16th round college pitchers. 

Braves seem more than happy to take salary off our hands.  

Archived