Harvey, Sedlock, Fenter, Gang's All Here, And Healthy

hoosiers

I am sure some folks could disagree, but I have to say that I believe we have more healthy (or conversely fewer injured) top pitching prospects/high draft picks taking their regular rotation turns than any time that I can recall since following our system in the early 2000s.  At least as far as I can tell, there isn't any major pitching prospect that is injured and all guys who were injured in prior years - particularly Sedlock, Harvey and Fenter - but GrayRod, Hall, Knight, Bishop, Rom, Hanifee, Baumann, they are all taking their turns and most are doing quite well.  

AFAIK, the recent injuries to Diaz and Hays are the only major injuries to our bigger recent draft pick investments - so I would also venture that our overall system is healthier than in a long time as well. 

There is clearly some quality developing in our system, but the depth may be a reason for our overall rankings to improve if some guys like Sedlock, Fenter, Peralta can recover some lost prospect shine.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Harvey got hit hard today. Gave up 3 HRs, I believe. Not cheap ones either.

He's been getting hit hard a lot lately.  And last season too. 

Why is this happening if the stuff is so good?  My guess, is that the fastball doesn't have any movement and he's not commanding it or his off speed stuff.  

On 4/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, hoosiers said:

I am sure some folks could disagree, but I have to say that I believe we have more healthy (or conversely fewer injured) top pitching prospects/high draft picks taking their regular rotation turns than any time that I can recall since following our system in the early 2000s.  At least as far as I can tell, there isn't any major pitching prospect that is injured and all guys who were injured in prior years - particularly Sedlock, Harvey and Fenter - but GrayRod, Hall, Knight, Bishop, Rom, Hanifee, Baumann, they are all taking their turns and most are doing quite well.  

AFAIK, the recent injuries to Diaz and Hays are the only major injuries to our bigger recent draft pick investments - so I would also venture that our overall system is healthier than in a long time as well. 

There is clearly some quality developing in our system, but the depth may be a reason for our overall rankings to improve if some guys like Sedlock, Fenter, Peralta can recover some lost prospect shine.

We don’t seem to have any decent pitchers above A ball.  I would say that it is pretty depressing right now.  I think you are overrating our prospects.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Harvey walked 3 and struck out 1 today AND got bombed.  Those kind of numbers make me think some real bad news (arm related) is just around the corner.

Yet he was very good in his last appearance.    Who the hell knows?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sdmarkakis said:

There's no "decent" pitchers at Bowie? Are you touched in the head?

Well looking at guys that are under 24 there is Alex Wells his stats look good but I read his fastball is upper 80's.   Zac Lowther is supposed to be another soft tosser. So I guess that gives you Pop who looks good.  But he is a one inning guy.  So we have one relief pitcher above A who isn't over age for the league.  I think you are kidding yourself.  But if you want to live in fantasy land that is your business. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yet he was very good in his last appearance.    Who the hell knows?

He got lit up last year as well.  He is 24 1/2. I think we know what we have in Harvey by now. 

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

He got lit up last year as well.  He is 24 1/2. I think we know what we have in Harvey by now. 

I’m not very optimistic, as anyone who has followed my comments about Harvey knows.   But no, I don’t know what we have in him.   It’s not like he’s pitched hundreds and hundreds of innings.    He’s very inexperienced for his age, and people who watch him say he still has very good stuff.    

1 hour ago, sdmarkakis said:

Pretty much every writeup of Lowther has him as an MLB quality pitcher. I guess you know better from your random dismissal of him. Wells isn't a rock star but he's a guy who will likely find his way into a decent MLB career as a back of the rotation starter or mid-relief guy.

'Decent' is a low bar. So maybe you should just choose your words more carefully.

Also, isn't Keegan Akin a decent prospect? Backend starter type? Struggling a bit in AAA right now, but had a good year last year. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy