If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Obviously, the "slam dunk" isn't as much of a slam dunk as people seem to think. If it was, Elias wouldn't be considering four players.

I wouldn’t trust any GM to be fully honest about what he’s thinking about the draft.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t trust any GM to be fully honest about what he’s thinking about the draft.   

I agree.

I hope we are correct.

Then again, I don't see what trying to hide what you're going to do with 1:1 does.  Maybe if you're afraid to disclose something industry specific, something about how you evaluate talent...but if there's a consensus #1 and you say you're going to take him...I dunno.

But Elias is smarter than us.  (Except CoC).

Lined out to center his 2nd time up.  OSU down early to Cincinnati, a .500 team that had to, and did, win their conference tournament to get a berth.

Obviously ESPN's crew focused on him the most, and the new stuff in the blurbs to me were his Avengers fandom (I'd heard the Captain America nickname before), and Finance as his major.  The lead was his grandfather's fame in Oregon as a college football/baseball coach, which I'd seen in the video posted elsewhere.

It was my first time seeing an at-bat live, and reinforced my nascent "looks just like Eddie Murray" notion.  His stance seemed a bit more open than I remember Eddie's though.

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

Obviously, the "slam dunk" isn't as much of a slam dunk as people seem to think. If it was, Elias wouldn't be considering four players.

They've had all season to scout these players.  What new information are they going to get in the next three days that they don't already have?  My guess is a decision has already been made baring some unforeseen circumstance.  

I'm going to throw up if they take Andrew Vaughn. 

It could be that Elias and company have been talking numbers with some players and doesn't want to lose a bargaining chip right now.

"Hey Adley, we love you, but two others will sign for $500,000 under slot to help better the team. Should we pencil you in $750,000 under slot?"

On 5/10/2019 at 7:20 PM, weams said:

Rutschman will probably be 25 before he see the Orioles. That is only two full years in the minors. He would then be a free agent catcher at age 31.  I can see reasons for the Orioles not to draft him. 

I'm no rocket surgeon, but I'm having trouble trying to reconcile how a 21 year old will be 25 if he plays 2 full seasons in the minors. I mean, I understand almost everything about the O's is stressful but it would add two full years to his age?

6 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm no rocket surgeon, but I'm having trouble trying to reconcile how a 21 year old will be 25 if he plays 2 full seasons in the minors. I mean, I understand almost everything about the O's is stressful but it would add two full years to his age?

It did to Miguel Tejada. 

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It could be that Elias and company have been talking numbers with some players and doesn't want to lose a bargaining chip right now.

"Hey Adley, we love you, but two others will sign for $500,000 under slot to help better the team. Should we pencil you in $750,000 under slot?"

It's kind of like that, but more, "hey Adley (Adley's advisor to be realistic) if we don't pick you, the Royals are locked in on Witt Jr and you'll fall to third overall (7.22M slot). So we are perpared to offer 7.5M, more than you'll get if we don't pick you."

9 hours ago, Malike said:

True. I may have been a bit exaggerated.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It's kind of like that, but more, "hey Adley (Adley's advisor to be realistic) if we don't pick you, the Royals are locked in on Witt Jr and you'll fall to third overall (7.22M slot). So we are perpared to offer 7.5M, more than you'll get if we don't pick you."

I don’t think that will work. If I’m the Advisor I would respond that he might take a little less to go to Chicago at 3rd since they’re 500 and competing for the last wild card spot and he might get an immediate call up there which will start his MLB free agency service. With the Orioles he could spend two years in the Orioles farm system while the MLB club is rebuilt. He would also probably take a little less to stay on the West Coast and play for a more competitive San Diego at 5 as well. 

7 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I really don't think Vaughn at #1 is that bad if it let's you grab a talent like Leiter with the 2nd pick.

Leiter's number is rumored to be 4M (also it's rumored he only has a few specific teams he'd sign with), so they'd need 2.2M extra to sign him. That might be a stretch, for a Vaughn underslot, so they'd have to get it elsewhere (which isn't a problem other than limiting flexibility at other picks). I'd prefer Rutschman/Dalquist (would be overslot later, but probably near slot at 42) over Vaughn/Leiter. 

Archived