Keon Broxton acquired and more (DFA Broxton- Claimed by Mariners))

Legend_Of_Joey

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather be get McKenna developed.

Wow, has he been disappointing this year.   .623 OPS to date.    

I came into 2019 feeling good about our OF prospects.    Since then:

- Yusniel Diaz put up a .651 OPS in 20 games at Bowie and has been out for about 3 weeks with a pulled hammy.

- Austin Hays got hurt after being sent to MiL spring training and so far has a .604 OPS in 8 games at Frederick (but has homered in the last 2 so hopefully he’s rounding into form.

- McKenna as mentioned above has a .623 OPS at Bowie.

- Cedric Mullins totally crapped the bed in Baltimore and hasn’t done much in Norfolk (.658 and sinking).

- Anthony Santander has been mediocre at Norfolk (.738)

The only guy who’s really been performing is DJ Stewart (.962), but really that’s a 3-week hot streak after a mediocre April, so the jury’s still out there.    And of course, he can’t play CF.

So, that’s how you end up with Keon Broxton.     And there’s always Mason Williams, who’s posting a respectable .816 OPS at Norfolk but is 27 years old and a career .708 OPS in the minors.

• Upvote 3

I am not in sync with Elias these days.   And he is smarter so take this with the smallest grain of salt.

1) I think Broxton is a platoon CF playing vs lefties.  He has hit them in the past.   He will replace Wilkerson for defense late in games.  He is a good pinch runner.  Wilkerson is hitting as the O's CF vs righties.  But does not hit lefties well.

2) I think Rickard is optioned.

3) I like Ramirez better than Shepard so I don't like this move.

4) I don't think Ramirez makes it through waivers and he is probably traded before he is waved.   Ramirez has options and should be attractive to someone on their 40 man roster.

5) Shepherd has to show something at AAA before he gets the call.

6) I know I am missing something because DFAing Ramirez appears to weaken the starter depth.

7) Cobb can not be activated until June 26th.   Pretty hard to trade him by July 31st.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Maybe they're hoping he can rob enough home runs to prevent us from setting the all time record.

He'd have to be a literal superhero with the power of flight to achieve that.  We're not giving up a ton of fence-scraper homers.

Just now, Morgan423 said:

He'd have to be a literal superhero with the power of flight to achieve that.  We're not giving up a ton of fence-scraper homers.

Two off Dwight Smith's glove the last couple nights.

But of course that was in LF.

I may have missed it in the comments, but do we know why Ramirez was designated, Instead of, for instance, Hess being optioned?

I understand that it is highly unlikely he will be claimed off waivers, and he will be successfully sent down, but why him?

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I may have missed it in the comments, but do we know why Ramirez was designated, Instead of, for instance, Hess being optioned?

I understand that it is highly unlikely he will be claimed off waivers, and he will be successfully sent down, but why him?

Had to create a 40 man roster spot. Hess being optioned wouldn't of done that. Ramierez is the most recent pitcher sent down and most likely to make it through waivers.

33 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Had to create a 40 man roster spot. Hess being optioned wouldn't of done that. Ramierez is the most recent pitcher sent down and most likely to make it through waivers.

That’s a good answer, thank you very much. Now can you tell me why Hess Hasn’t been optioned?

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I'd think that Broxton would be glad to come to Baltimore.  He has a chance for regular playing time which he did not have in New York.  And, the Mets may be a bigger dumpster fire than the Orioles.

A twenty nine year old cf, with a career .216 BA,  that strikes out over 40% of the time shouldn't expect any chance for regular playing time.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

The move had nothing to do with the 25 man roster, that's why.

We needed 2 spots on the 40 man roster for today's two acquisitions (Shepherd and Broxton).   So two people had to go off the 40 man roster.   Cobb was moved to the 60 day DL, which doesn't count against the 40, and Ramirez was DFA'd.

Demoting Hess would not create a spot on the 40 man roster.

Someone will have to come off the 25 man roster whenever Broxton arrives in Baltimore.

15 minutes ago, Kaven5 said:

A twenty nine year old cf, with a career .216 BA,  that strikes out over 40% of the time shouldn't expect any chance for regular playing time.

Well for the rest of thej major league teams, even the Mets, that’s a fair statement. Right now a guy named Hanser Alberto is one of the Orioles best players. And he can’t even get one out on a routine ground ball with the bases loaded.  I’m pretty sure this guy will get a chance to play. His defense alone is an upgrade. Offensively, and that is such an ironic word here, if he hits his ML average he will be used at least against lefties. 

Dont get me wrong, it ain’t gonna move the dial. But I’m all for rosterbating until we can acquire help. Your point illustrates just where we are. And that’s a team who can give reps to guys others would just as soon release.