Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

Just now, Philip said:

At the moment, yes he is the best, and he is also pretty much a known quantity. Would you rather deal Mountcastle or Cisco?

I would be happy to deal Nunez, but he offers even less than Mancini. He has no value at all. 

Mancini will not be here in three years regardless, if he’s good he will be treated if he’s bad he will be replaced, but you’ve already pointed out that he is a known quantity, he’s not suddenly going to sprout another significant tool. He hits well and everything else is “meh”

Even if Mancini’s value would be marginally higher next year at this time, if we keep him, his presence blocks Nunez from first base, which hinders the lineup. 

So yes I think he should be treated. Why do you think he shouldn’t be?

Cisco hits well (so far) but not against lefties and everything else is "meh."  Mountcastle hits well, doesn't walk and everything else is "meh".  And Nunez?  He's got nice power but he's looking like a .250 hitter with a .300 OBP type.  

So yeah, I'd kick Davis to the curb and give Mancini first and figure out the rest. 

You're arguing against a player saying he's got no additional significant tools...when the players you'd want to replace him with are equally one dimensional as well.  To me, that doesn't make sense when you don't know if Sisco is for real and will ever be able to hit lefties, if Mountcastle can hit at the ML level and increase his walk rate and if Nunez could get his OBP to the .330 range.  That's why I don't think they should trade Mancini.  Because there's no clear cut better option and a lot more question marks.  

What's his market

AL- DH, 1B, OF

Houston - Could be a 1B/DH option. Yordan Alvarez looks like he's going to stick in the long run.  Brantley and Reddick hit free agency after next season. Might be a luxury they don't need (Cold)

Yankees - Would help this year, but would create a log jam next season with a healthy Stanton, Judge, Encarnacion, Sanchez, etc.  Unless the Yankees moved on Encarnacion who is a free agent after next season. (Cold)

Twins - I don't really see room for him on the current roster until 2021 with the players they have like Sano, Cruz, Gonzalez and all their young guys.  (Cold)

Rays - With the recent injury to Choi and a lack of proven depth on their roster, this might create some stability at the 1B/DH position for them in the near future.  Depends on how much they believe in Nate Lowe and the fate of the two way player McKay.  (Warm)

Indians - He could be a helpful upgrade in the DH or RF spots offensively, but their OF is young, not bad and Santana will be at 1st for two more seasons I believe.  Doesn't seem like a fit unless we are getting one of those young outfielders back. (Luke Warm)

A's - Could be an offensive upgrade over a couple guys in their OF, but is it really worth it to have him patrol RF or LF for you?  No room at 1b or DH with their options. (Cold)

Red Sox - Don't need him unless major injuries. (Cold)

Rangers - He could be an upgrade over some of their 1B and OF options.  Choo will be DH one more season after this before hitting free agency.  (Warm)

Angels - Would be a major upgrade over Pujols but he isn't going anywhere with that contract.  (Cold)

NL Teams - No DH, 1B or OF

Cubs - Nope (Cold)

Dodgers - Maybe an upgrade in LF? Doesn't seem like they need him though.  (Cold)

Braves - Don't seem to need him, unless they want him to take over for Markakis who is having a good season, and they don't extend him an option next year (Cold)

Nats - Zimmerman, Adams, and Kendrick can all play 1B.  Don't need him in the OF  (Cold)

Brewers - Maybe an upgrade at 1B? Thames isn't doing bad, but they might not extend the option next year if Mancini is seen as a cheaper upgrade. Still seems a little log jammed, but it seemed that way too when they traded for Schoop last year.  (Warm)

Phillies - Doesn't seem to be a fit.  No place to play him. (Cold)

Cardinals - They look like they could use some OF depth.  No need at 1B.  Are they willing to stick with Mancini in the OF for three more years? (Cold)

• Upvote 3

We value Mancini more than any other franchise. I highly doubt we even get a single top 100 prospect for him. I say keep him so we’ve got something to cheer for on the field during the lean years. That is worth more than a couple AAAA players IMO

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

What's his market

AL- DH, 1B, OF

Houston - Could be a 1B/DH option. Yordan Alvarez looks like he's going to stick in the long run.  Brantley and Reddick hit free agency after next season. Might be a luxury they don't need (Cold)

Yankees - Would help this year, but would create a log jam next season with a healthy Stanton, Judge, Encarnacion, Sanchez, etc.  Unless the Yankees moved on Encarnacion who is a free agent after next season. (Cold)

Twins - I don't really see room for him on the current roster until 2021 with the players they have like Sano, Cruz, Gonzalez and all their young guys.  (Cold)

Rays - With the recent injury to Choi and a lack of proven depth on their roster, this might create some stability at the 1B/DH position for them in the near future.  Depends on how much they believe in Nate Lowe and the fate of the two way player McKay.  (Warm)

Indians - He could be a helpful upgrade in the DH or RF spots offensively, but their OF is young, not bad and Santana will be at 1st for two more seasons I believe.  Doesn't seem like a fit unless we are getting one of those young outfielders back. (Luke Warm)

A's - Could be an offensive upgrade over a couple guys in their OF, but is it really worth it to have him patrol RF or LF for you?  No room at 1b or DH with their options. (Cold)

Red Sox - Don't need him unless major injuries. (Cold)

Rangers - He could be an upgrade over some of their 1B and OF options.  Choo will be DH one more season after this before hitting free agency.  (Warm)

Angels - Would be a major upgrade over Pujols but he isn't going anywhere with that contract.  (Cold)

NL Teams - No DH, 1B or OF

Cubs - Nope (Cold)

Dodgers - Maybe an upgrade in LF? Doesn't seem like they need him though.  (Cold)

Braves - Don't seem to need him, unless they want him to take over for Markakis who is having a good season, and they don't extend him an option next year (Cold)

Nats - Zimmerman, Adams, and Kendrick can all play 1B.  Don't need him in the OF  (Cold)

Brewers - Maybe an upgrade at 1B? Thames isn't doing bad, but they might not extend the option next year if Mancini is seen as a cheaper upgrade. Still seems a little log jammed, but it seemed that way too when they traded for Schoop last year.  (Warm)

Phillies - Doesn't seem to be a fit.  No place to play him. (Cold)

Cardinals - They look like they could use some OF depth.  No need at 1B.  Are they willing to stick with Mancini in the OF for three more years? (Cold)

Tampa is the fit. I’d take Baz and Lowe(1B) in return. 

10 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Cisco= Technology conglomerate

Sisqo= Thong, Thong, Thong, Thong, Thong

Sisco= Baltimore Orioles catcher

B|

My work revolves around IT so I spend a lot of time looking at the technology conglomerate pretty much all day, every day.  Spelling the catcher's last name correctly is way hard for me as a result. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

My work revolves around IT so I spend a lot of time looking at the technology conglomerate pretty much all day, every day.  Spelling the catcher's last name correctly is way hard for me as a result. 

We ALL mess names up from time to time Mose, no worries. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Mancini is young cheap and offers plenty of control. If you don't get high value you simply don't deal him.

Last place mentality. Budget baseball has the Orioles as the worst team in baseball.

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cisco hits well (so far) but not against lefties and everything else is "meh."  Mountcastle hits well, doesn't walk and everything else is "meh".  And Nunez?  He's got nice power but he's looking like a .250 hitter with a .300 OBP type.  

So yeah, I'd kick Davis to the curb and give Mancini first and figure out the rest. 

You're arguing against a player saying he's got no additional significant tools...when the players you'd want to replace him with are equally one dimensional as well.  To me, that doesn't make sense when you don't know if Sisco is for real and will ever be able to hit lefties, if Mountcastle can hit at the ML level and increase his walk rate and if Nunez could get his OBP to the .330 range.  That's why I don't think they should trade Mancini.  Because there's no clear cut better option and a lot more question marks.  

Are you trying to throw the best lineup out there to get us 52 wins? Makes no sense. 

His value may never be higher. If we can get reasonable prospects for our non-ASGer then we go for it.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

You all know how I feel. The kid is a solid player and would be  a "face of the franchise' if allowed to play here for few years. The sad reality in sports, and particularly in baseball, is that fans cant ever invest with their heart in a player because of constant turnover. We've lost Machado, Schoop, Britton, Gausman, Weiters, and even Adam Jones. Im not saying those departures aren't understandable, but what I am saying is the constant losses in transactions effect the fan base. I get that we are re-building, but to get a few decent prospects, most whom won't pan out in trading a player like Mancini seems unnecessary at this point.The days of Brooks Robinson playing for the Orioles for 23 straight seasons are gone, but Trey seems like a good fit for this town. Let him play here, and let the fans enjoy a relationship with a good young player.We're not going anywhere anyway, for a long time.

Winning makes the fans forget. Look at the Astros....Can you or they name a player that they traded away when they were losing 100+ games. Once they won a World Series it no longer became a topic of interest.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Mancini is young cheap and offers plenty of control. If you don't get high value you simply don't deal him.

High value is one thing, but what you consider high is absolutely ridiculous and completely unrealistic. As I said, he's a positionless player. You can't keep ignoring that fact.