Tanner Scott

weams

I'm thinking Scott has to becoming an option at the MLB level.  Adding him to the 40 man doesn't seem like as big of a deal as before considering we are sitting with two openings and the option to 60 day DL Santander, or just get rid of him.  The other worrying thing is that Scott got optioned in ST to the minor league camp so maybe he hasn't won Buck over yet, given that Liranzo stuck around pretty long.  

Scott has the ability to be a game changer.  A lot of our depth doesn't have swing and miss stuff.  He does.  I believe I saw our pen was 26th in MLB in hits per 9.  Scott could lower that, he'll just walk them.  

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

9 OUTS: )  3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT )))))) (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 5/18)

IP:;)..l) 3))

H:))ll.)  3 ll (3 Singles)

R:l))l.lll 1

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 3

Pitches: l) 65 )(33 )Strikes, )32 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.50 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.318 )(AA-Bowie) )  22 IP (29 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .110 )(AA-Bowie) )  (8 for 73)

PITCHES BY INNING 

17 ll(91 )Strikes, .l 81 llBalls)

19 ll(13 )Strikes, .61 llBalls)

29 l.(11 )Strikes, ll18 .l.Balls)

o

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I think ya gotta wait to promote him until he shows a Consistent adequate walk rate.  He's obviously not there yet.    

Seriously.  The guy walks a batter an inning (IN DOUBLE A).  What is that in the majors where the hitters are more disciplined?  1.5 walks?  

He has no where near the control to to be considered for the big league squad.  Significant improvement is needed.  

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Only 33 pitches in 3 innings.   Kind of wish they had let him go another inning or two.   I think he threw about 57 his last time out in 3 innings.

While I wish he would get longer outings, I can understand why they limit him. He will be a very good bullpen option if he can stay on track.

He's taken a step this year, he's not getting hit whether or not he has his command.  Last year, when he didn't have his best command, he'd groove pitches and get hit.  This year even when he's missing, he's missing on the edges.  I think he's always going to be a 4ish BB/9 kind of guy at best, but I think that will play with his strikeout and hard contact limiting abilities.

23 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

He's taken a step this year, he's not getting hit whether or not he has his command.  Last year, when he didn't have his best command, he'd groove pitches and get hit.  This year even when he's missing, he's missing on the edges.  I think he's always going to be a 4ish BB/9 kind of guy at best, but I think that will play with his strikeout and hard contact limiting abilities.

12 hits in 30 IP.     You can afford some walks when you're doing that.   He had 15 walks in his first 15 innings this year, but "only" 7 in his last 15.     At that rate he could probably be a successful reliever in the majors.    But he needs to keep the rate down there consistently.  

On 5/14/2017 at 9:59 AM, Frobby said:

Remember, I'm the guy who said three weeks ago that said I prefer Alex Wells types to Tanner Scott types.    I've been extremely skeptical of Scott due to his extreme command problems.    But I'm pretty excited by the progress he's made in his last few outings.   Let's see if it continues. He had a 9.0 BB/9 in his first 5 outings, before walking only 1 batter over the last two.   He's only allowed 6 hits in 21 innings, which is just crazy.  

And I prefer the Scott types. But I sure enjoy watching a game with you.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

12 hits in 30 IP.     You can afford some walks when you're doing that.   He had 15 walks in his first 15 innings this year, but "only" 7 in his last 15.     At that rate he could probably be a successful reliever in the majors.    But he needs to keep the rate down there consistently.  

I was looking at batted ball stats today and I noticed that 58.5% of the batted balls against him went to the opposite field.  To put that in prospective, no one in any level of the minors or the majors (with at least 20IP) has a higher precentage.  The best in the majors is Andrew Miller with 51.8%.  I'm not sure what it means, but it seems like it is somewhat correlated with good stuff.

23 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I was looking at batted ball stats today and I noticed that 58.5% of the batted balls against him went to the opposite field.  To put that in prospective, no one in any level of the minors or the majors (with at least 20IP) has a higher precentage.  The best in the majors is Andrew Miller with 51.8%.  I'm not sure what it means, but it seems like it is somewhat correlated with good stuff.

That's impressive.  Where do you get those stats on minor leaguers?

I think it's pretty obvious that he's got the stuff.    You just have to worry what happens when major league hitters make him throw strikes.   

On 5/14/2017 at 10:01 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I agree he has done very well recently.

Do you agree that the O's could use an impact arm in the pen?

Do you agree that the odds of a two pitch guy transitioning from the pen to a starting gig are slim?

Randy Johnson was a 2 pitch pitcher....looks like someone else said it.

I am still not sold on Tanner Scott being able to find consistency but I have nothing to base that on.  I like the arm but have little faith in the Organization's ability to develop arms.

23 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Randy Johnson was a 2 pitch pitcher....looks like someone else said it.

I am still not sold on Tanner Scott being able to find consistency but I have nothing to base that on.  I like the arm but have little faith in the Organization's ability to develop arms.

I was quite skeptical last year, I saw him pitch a few times and other than the velocity I wasn't particularly impressed.  This year, after watching him pitch a few times, I'm a believer.  His fastball is a swing and miss pitch even when it's in the zone, the slider flashes plus.  Hitters are quite uncomfortable.

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

HHP, front page

Archived