José Rondón, not Stewart, Activated onto 25-man Roster

LA2

Peterson to replace Smith, Jr. in the OF.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-active-in-talks-at-trade-deadline

Two days after claiming Jose Rondon off waivers from the White Sox, the Orioles activated the utility infielder and added him to their 25-man roster. Rondon, 25, hit .197 with three homers and a .546 OPS while appearing at six positions in 55 games this year for Chicago. While primarly a middle infielder, Rondon has appeared at every position except catcher, center and right field during his career.

He now brings added versatility to an O's team that will likely turn to another utility-type, Jace Peterson, for reps in left field in place of the injured Dwight Smith Jr. The club optioned right-handed Chandler Shephard to Triple-A Norfolk in a corresponding move.

“I feel well overall wherever I play, in the infield as well in the outfield,” Rondon said, through team interpreter Ramon Alacron. “This is a great opportunity to stay in the big leagues and I’m looking forward to it.”

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think much of Stewart but he deserves a shot.  Rondon doesn't make sense, especially since Villar wasn't traded.

I think Rondon deserves a chance.  He hit for a 785 OPS at AAA last year with 18 homers in 313 at bats.    He is supposed to have good range in the infield.    He is 25 years old.  Looks like a good claim that may allow the O's to develop Martin's bat at AAA next season.

Just now, wildcard said:

I think Rondon deserves a chance.  He hit for a 785 OPS at AAA last year with 18 homers.    He is supposed to have good range in the infield.    He is 25 years old.  Looks like a good claim that may allow the O's to develop Martin's bat at AAA next season.

I don't disagree that he doesn't deserve a chance, just not over Stewart.  

Just now, wildcard said:

Stewart up; Peterson DFA'd in the not too distance future is my guess.

I hope you're correct.  But if that's the case why Peterson in the first place?  

I think one of the more disappointing things for me this year is that between Diaz, Hays, Stewart, none of them stepped up, mashed and took hold of an outfield spot.  I'm not mad that Santander did instead but I think we all hoped one of the aforementioned three would be making a name for themselves in Baltimore instead of having lingering question marks over their heads.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope you're correct.  But if that's the case why Peterson in the first place?  

I think one of the more disappointing things for me this year is that between Diaz, Hays, Stewart, none of them stepped up, mashed and took hold of an outfield spot.  I'm not mad that Santander did instead but I think we all hoped one of the aforementioned three would be making a name for themselves in Baltimore instead of having lingering question marks over their heads.   

Peterson was hitting well at AAA and Ruiz was not hitting for the O's.   They optioned Ruiz to see what Peterson could offer.    Smith gets hurt and opens some playing time in LF.  So Peterson gets his chance at 3B/LF.  But at 29 he has to hit or his time will be short.  His history in the majors is he does not hit.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Peterson was hitting well at AAA and Ruiz was not hitting for the O's.   They optioned Ruiz to see what Peterson could offer.    Smith gets hurt and opens some playing time in LF.  So Peterson gets his chance at 3B/LF.  But at 29 he has to hit or his time will be short.  His history in the majors is he does not hit.

Yep, so...I don't think Peterson is magically going to turn it around.  

Still, Stewart should be up.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Rondon deserves a chance.  He hit for a 785 OPS at AAA last year with 18 homers in 313 at bats.    He is supposed to have good range in the infield.    He is 25 years old.  Looks like a good claim that may allow the O's to develop Martin's bat at AAA next season.

Is he a shortstop? Might be time for Richie to rest his aches and pains and finish up the year on a rehab assignment.

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

It’s getting a bit silly now. There are 3-4 players on the roster who provide little current value and no upside who could be swapped out for Stewart. 

Yeah a bunch of guys who will be worse than replacement level and provide nothing to the team.  Jace Peterson, Steve Wilkerson, and Rondon are good guys for a Triple A team but don't belong in the majors. 

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah a bunch of guys who will be worse than replacement level and provide nothing to the team.  Jace Peterson, Steve Wilkerson, and Rondon are good guys for a Triple A team but don't belong in the majors. 

Wilkerson has a 780 OPS vs right handed pitching.  Righthander are about 70% on of the pitchers the O's face.    I would say that has some value.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wilkerson has a 780 OPS vs right handed pitching.  Righthander are about 70% on of the pitchers the O's face.    I would say that has some value.

With the juiced baseball .780 OPS split isn't all that great for below average center fielder.  I think you are not realizing that guys like Wilkerson are what makes this team so bad. 

Archived