Stewart recalled

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Think of it as "How do I provide excess value at my position?"  Most players could play at least an average 1B, so in order to provide more value than other 1B, you'd need to have a great bat.  

Very few ML players can play a competent SS, so if you're able to play SS but also have a good bat, that gives you extra value compared to your peers.

You explained it more clearly and concisely than I did.

16 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Batting average means very little by itself, we are talking about overall production with the bat. Nunez would be a MLB role player/utility IMO if he could handle SS, but his bat is really light and I doubt he'd be a regular, even at SS. I agree with Tony that Ruiz isn't a MLB quality player. 

Luke meant Ruiz here in case anyone was confused over the typo... 

28 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Batting average means very little by itself, we are talking about overall production with the bat. Ruiz would be a MLB role player/utility IMO if he could handle SS, but his bat is really light and I doubt he'd be a regular, even at SS. I agree with Tony that Ruiz isn't a MLB quality player. 

Thank you, I really appreciate the clarification. Maybe that’s why we haven’t seen him return yet.

17 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Think of it as "How do I provide excess value at my position?"  Most players could play at least an average 1B, so in order to provide more value than other 1B, you'd need to have a great bat.  

Very few ML players can play a competent SS, so if you're able to play SS but also have a good bat, that gives you extra value compared to your peers.

That’s very clear. Thanks. So the harder the defensive position, the easier it is for an excellent defender to be an effective contributor with a poor bat(ie Hardy, for example) but if everyone can play the position well, you’ve got to hit really well to excel.

Speaking of Ruiz, it's rather curious how the Orioles still have him at Norfolk. The Orioles said that they wanted him closer to home with his wife nearing birth. But the Orioles completed their west coast road trip and they're in the middle of a home stand in Baltimore. If the Orioles sent him down to keep him close to his wife, why didn't they just promote him again after they returned home? 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was listening to the radio last night while driving home.  So he got hit in the head with a pop fly or something?

I'm pretty sure a quick google check will come up with his play last night. It was not flattering.

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Speaking of Ruiz, it's rather curious how the Orioles still have him at Norfolk. The Orioles said that they wanted him closer to home with his wife nearing birth. But the Orioles completed their west coast road trip and they're in the middle of a home stand in Baltimore. If the Orioles sent him down to keep him close to his wife, why didn't they just promote him again after they returned home? 

They couldn't initially when they returned home because you have to be down a minimum of 10 days when you are sent to the minors.

But I think we are beyond that 10 day point now so that is no longer an excuse.