What did Bleier do?

AceKing

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The shift giveth and taketh away.  The anti shifters seem to only notice the giveth part.  Harold Reynolds cracks me up when he only points out when a shift didn't work.

Exactly.  When the shift giveth more than it taketh teams will stop shifting.

3 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Exactly.  When the shift giveth more than it taketh teams will stop shifting.

That's fine if you have infielders who can make the plays from extreme shift positions. Nunez and Alberto cannot. I'm not so sure about Martin. When they are on the field the O's should not use extreme shifts.

15 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

His behavior in that video would be enough for me. Add to that, the lack of progress made by Nunez on defense. Nunez made a lot of progress last year, but that seems to have disappeared. The throwing program they put him on hurt him more than helped him.

I also don't like the positioning of infielders, but I realize it is probably dictated by analytics. Just my opinion, but I think that a team with bad infielders should put them in more traditional positions, as they may be more likely to make the plays from positions they are used to covering. Our guys seem to make a lot of mistakes when they are in extreme shifts. Just put them where they are most likely to be successful and hope the ball gets hit in their vicinity.

1.   I’m not comfortable judging Flores’ conduct based on the clips I’ve seen.   I’d need to know a lot more about who said what to whom.   

2.   I certainly wouldn’t feel competent to judge any coach.   99% of what they do is unseen by the public.   

That said, I won’t be surprised if Hyde changes out a couple of coaches.    He had to hire his staff quite late last year and so his choices were limited.    

• Upvote 4

I think its understandable that Bleier was frustrated.   He had a bad first half and was doing well in the 2nd half until yesterday.   Those runs raised his ERA to 4.50.   Not what the O's will want from a 32 year old reliever  when the team is emphasizing  youth.  Bleier has  a month  to recover but I am sure the balls not caught caused an emotional reaction.

Flores reaction is another matter.

I guess this means he handed him the ball in an inappropriate manner? 

Said manager Brandon Hyde: “I guess there was some disagreement about some positioning during his inning. On the mound, he just left it a little bit too early for me, but I haven’t talked to him, honestly since.”

" Jose, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. We must remember this,a shift is just a shift as balls go by."

He said he hopes he and Flóres can address what happened once things cool down.

“We’re all adults,” Bleier said. “It’s not like I’m mad at anybody. Right now, we’re not thrilled with each other maybe, but I’m sure we can move past this and get back to a healthy relationship.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-richard-bleier-jose-flores-20190829-7y5q6uvspnfhnh2cxhy5co3che-story.html

• Upvote 1

Just now, Going Underground said:

I guess this means he handed him the ball in an inappropriate manner? 

Said manager Brandon Hyde: “I guess there was some disagreement about some positioning during his inning. On the mound, he just left it a little bit too early for me, but I haven’t talked to him, honestly since.”

He said he hopes he and Flóres can address what happened once things cool down." Jose, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. We must remember this,a shift is just a shift as balls go by."

He said he hopes he and Flóres can address what happened once things cool down.

“We’re all adults,” Bleier said. “It’s not like I’m mad at anybody. Right now, we’re not thrilled with each other maybe, but I’m sure we can move past this and get back to a healthy relationship.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-richard-bleier-jose-flores-20190829-7y5q6uvspnfhnh2cxhy5co3che-story.html

I noticed that as well. Perhaps Flores did also. 

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He doesn’t strike anyone out. Hard to be effective in modern baseball. 

I wonder if he thinks his stuff needs to be defended differently than others on the staff? Who knows. 

Flores isn’t just throwing stuff against the wall.  

Bleier has a point though. The defensive positioning for this team has been terrible all year. It's amazing how many times there have been lazy fly balls up in the air for an eternity only to fall in for a base hit. 

It is a long, frustrating season to be on a 100+ game losing team. It is surprising to me that there aren't more boil overs. IMO pitchers have to put out more than any other player on the field. If they throw lollipops it might come right back to their head. I don't know about the positioning at first, but I've seen Davis go half hearted defensively (and at bat) on many occasions. Quite frankly, I think players and coaches should get pissed and display some emotion when things go off the rails.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

His behavior in that video would be enough for me. Add to that, the lack of progress made by Nunez on defense. Nunez made a lot of progress last year, but that seems to have disappeared. The throwing program they put him on hurt him more than helped him.

I also don't like the positioning of infielders, but I realize it is probably dictated by analytics. Just my opinion, but I think that a team with bad infielders should put them in more traditional positions, as they may be more likely to make the plays from positions they are used to covering. Our guys seem to make a lot of mistakes when they are in extreme shifts. Just put them where they are most likely to be successful and hope the ball gets hit in their vicinity.

Interesting notion.

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He doesn’t strike anyone out. Hard to be effective in modern baseball. 

I wonder if he thinks his stuff needs to be defended differently than others on the staff? Who knows. 

Flores isn’t just throwing stuff against the wall.  

It had never occurred to me before, but maybe a pitcher like Bleier, who relies so much on command and wile, has been surprisingly successful precisely because he was able to get hitters to hit the ball to fielders where they are traditionally positioned. Extreme shifting, based on data against a large number of more "normal" pitchers (I presume), may screw up his whole mode.