2019 #2 Prospect: Grayson Rodriguez - RHP

Tony-OH

32 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

If we were the Marlins and he was Jose Fernandez, he'd be 3rd in the Cy Young race this year.  Let's see how Carolina League hitters do.  Eager to see which breaking ball he'll feature next season.

(I don't think he is Jose Fernandez good, but one must dream on HS pitchers before they break.  Fernandez did get a midseason promotion and 11 Florida State League starts the year he went nuts in A-ball before going right to The Show).

It would be nice if we actually had a home grown ace for the first time in almost 30 years.     Bedard was the closest we’ve had since Mussina, and his debut was delayed by injuries and then he was gone almost as quickly as he arrived.     So many guys we’ve dreamed on since then have disappointed.     

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I could be wrong, but Bedard seem lived by the 100 pitch rule, never wanted to stretch out beyond that point.

It’s funny, Bedard averaged 6.5 innings per start in his final year here, and I don’t think we’ve had any starter do that since.     He went 7+ innings in half his starts, and at least 6 in 23 of 28.     He threw 110+ pitches 10 times that year, and over 100 pitches 21 times.    Yet, people still remember that if a manager asked him if he was tired, he’d tell the truth.    Considering the arm problems he had before reaching the majors and after leaving Baltimore, I’d say he was wise not to push himself to the limit any more than he did.    

Now, was he a bit of a jerk?     I’d say yes.    I still loved watching him pitch.     I hope the next pitcher we have who is as effective as Bedard will stay in Baltimore a lot longer.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I don't think I'll be breaking any rules to say that Bedard had a "difficult" personality.  Probably more true with the media, but didn't seem to make a lot of friends in the clubhouse either.  Think he started a presser by saying he'd only answer three questions.  When a reporter asked why, he said, "two questions to go" or something like that.  But, it could have been someone else.

That was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen, it was hilarious.  Pretty sure you could hear how flummoxed the guy who asked the question was in the background ?

I agree with brother @Frobby, watching Bedard when he was on was a thing of beauty.  That curve was one of the nastiest.  Seemed like he could drop it on the back foot of a right handed batter at will. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, Frobby said:

It would be nice if we actually had a home grown ace for the first time in almost 30 years.     Bedard was the closest we’ve had since Mussina, and his debut was delayed by injuries and then he was gone almost as quickly as he arrived.     So many guys we’ve dreamed on since then have disappointed.     

At least Bedard turned into Jones and Tillman.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:00 AM, REDMAN said:

In my opinion, Hall is the better prospect,  G Rod fastball is too straight, he need to develop more movement,  Hall fastball has movement and will play better against MLB hitters. Hence, the different in control of both, much easier to control a straight fastball then one with a lot of movement.

I like GROD over DL because:

BB/9
GROD 3.4
DL       5.1

But I hope both help form a core of starters on winning Baltimore teams.

15 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I like GROD over DL because:

BB/9
GROD 3.4
DL       5.1

But I hope both help form a core of starters on winning Baltimore teams.

Remember that DL Hall is one of the guys who was aggressively throwing off speed in fastball counts as a part of the new player development programs. That was a big factor in his walk total. Hopefully that goes way down this year. 

27 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Remember that DL Hall is one of the guys who was aggressively throwing off speed in fastball counts as a part of the new player development programs. That was a big factor in his walk total. Hopefully that goes way down this year. 

I agree with this and Hall's control is an early season watch like a hawk thing.  But beyond size and present control (maybe), change-up is the third leg of the stool that for me gives Rodriguez a little separation.

Hall may still be required to throw off speed in fastball counts in 2020, he should just be better at it if last year's plan is working.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I agree with this and Hall's control is an early season watch like a hawk thing.  But beyond size and present control (maybe), change-up is the third leg of the stool that for me gives Rodriguez a little separation.

Hall may still be required to throw off speed in fastball counts in 2020, he should just be better at it if last year's plan is working.

Hall’s changeup is just as good as Rodriguez’s.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Hall’s changeup is just as good as Rodriguez’s.

Good call.  This was enough of a jolt to my basic take on the two I circled back to your list and yep - 50/60 on both of them.  Wild lefties and good changeups do feel like unusual companions in a profile, but I guess that just hints at the ceiling if he can put it all together.