What do you want from this rebuild?

Legend_Of_Joey

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Being watchable for the next couple years with young interesting players, being competitive for at least 5 years after that. I don't care much about World Series wins. Baseball is a long season and playoffs are a crap shoot. I want to enjoy the season.

Total agreement.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Playoff contenders every year.  And one....just one...World Series title.  I'm not about to get greedy and entitled like a Sox or Yankees fan but I'm approaching 40 and the thought of not seeing a WS title in my lifetime has been a thought.

Yep - in general I agree with MurphDogg, the enjoyment is the journey, not necessarily the end result.  So I'm fine with competitive seasons that don't end in WS wins.  But dang it, I want just 1.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Want from a rebuild?? A reason to sit down and watch a 3 hour game with an expectation of a W or at least be entertained instead of it being a waste of time. 

The expectation of a W and the idea of a rebuild kind of don't go together.  Sounds like you want a team that wins more than they lose.  People say they don't want us to operate like we did from 1999-2011, but it sure sounds like they do.  

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

We know this is going to be a cold, soulless, "screw the fans" process.

But what is "acceptable" for the end result?

World Series champions?

Playoff contenders every year Elias is here after the "rebuild" is done?

Fighting for first in the East, even if they fall short a few times?

.500 or better and you are happy? 

Anything in between? 

A prolonged period of AT LEAST 8 years where we maybe have one losing record in a down/injury year, one or two barely over .500 record seasons, and the rest of the seasons 85+ with at half of those over 90, in contention into September the vast majority of the years, make the playoffs 50% or more of the years, and then whatever happens in the postseason happens.   (Obviously going out in the first round of the postseason in such a stretch would be frustrating and disappointing, just ask a Nats fan, but you have to build a team to GET INTO the playoffs and then let the chips fall where they may in the postseason).

In other words, a good long period as a "perennial contender" similar to what the Cardinals have been.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

A prolonged period of AT LEAST 8 years where we maybe have one losing record in a down/injury year, one or two barely over .500 record seasons, and the rest of the seasons 85+ with at half of those over 90, in contention into September the vast majority of the years, make the playoffs 50% or more of the years, and then whatever happens in the postseason happens.   (Obviously going out in the first round of the postseason in such a stretch would be frustrating and disappointing, just ask a Nats fan, but you have to build a team to GET INTO the playoffs and then let the chips fall where they may in the postseason).

In other words, a good long period as a "perennial contender" similar to what the Cardinals have been.

73245.jpg

4 hours ago, theocean said:

I agree. The results of the tanking have to exceed the results of a typical rebuild. If Elias puts the Orioles through five 100+ loss seasons or whatever - they better win a Championship and have more than the three postseason appearances of DD/Buck's 2012-2016.

Not a possibility to ask for that. Playoffs don't work well for small market teams. It's a lot of luck too. 

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Honestly I want them to become the Cardinals of the last 20ish years where they always seem to churn out good players and are at least competitive. 

Winning the World Series, obviously 

Prison sentences occasionally. Murder suicide occasionally. Overbought contracts occasionally.  But yeah. Most a good org. 

We deserve a championship. I'm still angry about 2015 with Duquette committing sporting treason and trying to sell the world on Travis Synder. So to right the wrongs of yesteryear, I wanna hear Joe Buck joyfully yelling "And the Baltimore Orioles are champions again" ! Then hearing Orioles magic playing over the loud speaker.

I seent it in mah dreamz!

37 minutes ago, weams said:

Not a possibility to ask for that. Playoffs don't work well for small market teams. It's a lot of luck too. 

I get what you're saying, but I think the entire reason people are on board with Elias' plan is that they expect Astros-level success: World Championship and deep playoff appearances.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd like to see us nab the two stud pitchers in back to back drafts.  Hancock and Rocker.  

I've been watching a lot of Rocker and Hancock game videos. I LOVE Rocker's delivery, reminds me of Chapman. He still has to develop a third pitch and fastball needs to tick up just a little bit, but he's gonna be a stud and we really need to get the #1 pick.

I'm not completely sold on Hancock yet. He's super polished, all of his pitches are plus, as well as plus command.  He doesn't miss as many bats as you want though, I don't think his delivery has a lot of deception. I am just always worried about picking pitchers that high, and he has missed time with a lat strain. It's gonna depend on the medicals, and what Torkelson and Martin do next year.