Rule 5: Brandon Bailey - RHP -Astros

baltfan

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Over the last two weeks Elias has added 7 arms to the system. I’d think they would all rank in the organization top 20-40.

That’s really picking up some depth and improving the depth of our farm system. 18 months from now, we should have one of the top farm systems in baseball. 

Testify! Amen! ... and all that jazz. :P

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

What does this mean and why are we rejoicing at this fact?

ARE we rejoicing?

”Let Joy be unconfined! His bauer units are through the roof!”

Bailey is a really interesting dude. 5'9" guy who is really thoughtful and curious about all the technology. 

Connolly has an article on The Athletic about the Rule 5 results but there's a link in there focusing on what the Astros have done developmentally and how Bailey is really kind of a perfect example of what they do. Really good Jake Kaplan article. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

It doesn’t single handedly make a pitcher good. But if you ascribe to the notion that hitters like to be comfortable, and similar is comfortable, he is on the multiple standard deviations above the mean on this one. 

What it means is that his fastball falls much less than the average fastball in his velocity range. So hitters encounter movement (or in this case lack of movement) that they aren’t used to. It leads to lots of swings under the ball if used properly. It’s one of the explainers for what used to be called an invisible ball (not the only, there are funky mechanics, extension to the plate, and hiding the ball that can contribute to that as well).

Does that make any sense?

Yes, not only does it make sense, but the ability to explain things clearly and briefly is an extreme virtue, and is one of the reasons why I really think you should approach the team about some paid freelance work. I’m gonna have to read it a few more times before I completely understand it, but that’s on me and not on you 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, not only does it make sense, but the ability to explain things clearly and briefly is an extreme virtue, and is one of the reasons why I really think you should approach the team about some paid freelance work. I’m gonna have to read it a few more times before I completely understand it, but that’s on me and not on you 

Did he explain it clearly and briefly if you don't understand it?

• Haha 1