Orioles sign Kohl Stewart, DFA Marcos Diplan, Diplan clears waivers, outrighted to AAA.

MurphDogg

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

What does that mean? If he’s in the majors does he get a percentage of 800k for as long as he’s up, and minor league pay if he’s down? Or is the 800k guaranteed if he spends a certain amount of time in MLB?

He gets $800K pro-rated for the time he is in the Majors.

He gets a lower salary for the time he is in the minors.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He gets $800K pro-rated for the time he is in the Majors.

He gets a lower salary for the time he is in the minors.

That’s what I thought, but wouldn’t that be true of anybody? Anybody who is in the minor leagues gets minor-league pay, except when they’re in the major leagues, when they get major league pay. 

The only difference I see is that league minimum is 575K or so and this is 800 K, which on a per game basis isn’t that much different.

A throwback to Summer 2014 when Stewart and Harvey were blazing towards Top 50-ish MLB wide prospectdom.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/24045/bp-top-50-hunter-harvey-vs-kohl-stewart/

I think the moderator Nick Faleris may be our Stotle.  At this time, Stewart's slider was reputed so good ala Bundy's cutter part of the report is the Twins weren't letting him use it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s what I thought, but wouldn’t that be true of anybody? Anybody who is in the minor leagues gets minor-league pay, except when they’re in the major leagues, when they get major league pay. 

The only difference I see is that league minimum is 575K or so and this is 800 K, which on a per game basis isn’t that much different.

Yep, that is the only difference. He also likely negotiated what his salary will be in the minors, which hasn't been reported (as opposed to non-free agent minor-leaguers who are bound by whatever the team chooses to pay minor leaguers). He could also have negotiated an overall minimum salary for the season, and/or and opt-out date if he isn't in the majors by a certain date, but neither has been reported as of yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think Jake Thompson is a better version of the same type of pitcher. But like I always say, the FO has better tools and more data than I do to look into these things, so it’s possible I’m missing something.

Or Thompson may be holding out waiting on 1 or more of his favored teams to sign him.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, that is the only difference. He also likely negotiated what his salary will be in the minors, which hasn't been reported (as opposed to non-free agent minor-leaguers who are bound by whatever the team chooses to pay minor leaguers). He could also have negotiated an overall minimum salary for the season, and/or and opt-out date if he isn't in the majors by a certain date, but neither has been reported as of yet.

Maybe he wanted a little more money to sign with the Orioles. Two pitchers at least have  turned down a minor league contract with the Orioles. Fernando Abad being one of them 

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

A throwback to Summer 2014 when Stewart and Harvey were blazing towards Top 50-ish MLB wide prospectdom.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/24045/bp-top-50-hunter-harvey-vs-kohl-stewart/

I think the moderator Nick Faleris may be our Stotle.  At this time, Stewart's slider was reputed so good ala Bundy's cutter part of the report is the Twins weren't letting him use it.

That is Stotle. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

He has a negotiated MiLB pay, as opposed to all other MiLP players except for ones in his circumstance,

Kohl Stwart looks like a middle to long reliever to me in the majors.

Career MLB stats

Starter    6 Starts,   6.35 ERA,  28.1 IP 38H    1.835 WHIP

Reliever   11 games,  3.48 ERA,   33.2 IP  25H,    1.099 WHIP.  Avg 3 innings an appearance.

He could be a follower for Bailey as a opener.

Nice pickup by Elias.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Though Stewart's is a "split-contract", it is still a MLB contract and as such is governed by the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).  The CBA contains minimum salary requirements for players on the 40 Man Roster.  I've excerpted the relevant provisions below. Of course, Stewart may have successfully negotiated a minor league salary greater than the minimum.
==========================================================================
Here's the provision pertinent to Stewart:
"....(2) For all Players (a) signing a second Major League contract (not covering the same season as any such Player’s initial Major League contract) or a subsequent Major League contract, or (b) who
have at least one day of Major League service, the minimum salary shall be as follows:
(i) for Major League service—at a rate not less than the Major League minimum salary;
(ii) for Minor League service—at a rate not less than the following:
2019—at the rate per season of $90,400;
2020—at the 2019 rate per season plus a cost of living adjustment, rounded to the nearest $100, provided that the cost of living adjustment shall not reduce the minimum salary below $90,400...."
==========================================================================
FYI --:
"....(3) For all Players signing a first Major League contract, the minimum salary for Minor League service shall be as follows:
2019—at the rate per season of $45,300;
2020—at the 2019 rate per season plus a cost of living adjustment, rounded to the nearest $100, provided that the cost of living adjustment shall not reduce the minimum salary below $45,300...."

3 hours ago, Philip said:

If he becomes a viable option and is retained through his Arbitration Years , the salary prior to Arbitration garners a larger raises when it is above League Average (Minimum).