Chris Waters

rooter

Waters already has stunk for 3 starts in a row.
When did that happen?

His 5 starts:

8 IP 0 R

4 IP 6 R

4.2 IP 2 R

5 IP 4 R

7 IP 4 R

I'd be pretty happy with all but the 4 IP / 6 ER start he had against Texas the way our SP has been recently. He went short the two starts against Detroit and Boston, but he did better than most of our other SP have been doing.

Nobody is really arguing that he has any sort of future, but he's certainly one of the better options we have for the rotation right now. I'd like to see Olson and Liz get starts, but I'd leave Waters in over Burres and theres a chance Cabrera could miss some starts. I don't wanna see Beregesen up here this year, and would only want Hernandez to come up and pitch in relief.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When did that happen?

His 5 starts:

8 IP 0 R

4 IP 6 R

4.2 IP 2 R

5 IP 4 R

7 IP 4 R

I'd be pretty happy with all but the 4 IP / 6 ER start he had against Texas the way our SP has been recently. He went short the two starts against Detroit and Boston, but he did better than most of our other SP have been doing.

Nobody is really arguing that he has any sort of future, but he's certainly one of the better options we have for the rotation right now. I'd like to see Olson and Liz get starts, but I'd leave Waters in over Burres. I don't wanna see Beregesen up here this year, and would only want Hernandez to come up and pitch in relief.

In bold.

7.94 ERA....Never went past 5 innings and only went 5 innings once.

4.63 BB rate...4.63 K rate....1:1 K/bb...2.65 HR rate

Nothing there is good, servicable or anything like that.

In bold.

Come on, stop being ridiculous.

2 runs in 4.2 innings isn't good, but it certainly isn't awful. 4 runs in 5 IP against the Red Sox again, not good, but you can't call that awful. Poor would be appropriate for that.

So no, he hasn't had 3 awful starts in a row. And in his five starts, has had only one that is awful.

Come on, stop being ridiculous.

2 runs in 4.2 innings isn't good, but it certainly isn't awful. 4 runs in 5 IP against the Red Sox again, not good, but you can't call that awful.

So no, he hasn't had 3 awful starts in a row. And in his five starts, has had only one that is awful.

LOL..Whatever...Now we are allowing him to get by on things other pitchers would be ripped for.

Not being able to go 5 innings is terrible....A 7.2 ERA isn't good.

His track record is awful.

LOL..Whatever...Now we are allowing him to get by on things other pitchers would be ripped for.

His track record is terrible. His performance for the Orioles has been poor.

Poor is an improvement for our starting rotation.

His track record is terrible. His performance for the Orioles has been poor.

Poor is an improvement for our starting rotation.

This qoute made think of something. Waters is a fringe guy at best IMO. But he actually is more tolerable to watch because he is doing more with obviously less than most of our other pitchers. It just gets hard to watch guys with a boatload of talent continue to fail.

Shouldn't be in the rotation right now and shouldn't be an option for the rotation next year are two very different things.

Right now, Waters is without doubt our 2nd best starter. I think he's just riding a hot streak, but you better believe that if I'm in charge, I milk that hot streak for all its worth.

That's the key to me. Saying Waters should be in the rotation doesn't speak so much about Waters, as it does everyone else. Waters is clearly pitching better than every starter on this team not named Guthrie. Case closed.

I've been interested in this for a little while now: SG, give us your 25 man roster with the rotation the way you'd have it if you were in charge of the O's for the rest of the year. I'm sure it will be a pretty good team, I just want to see what you'd do.

In bold.

Right. But if Bergesen or Tillman put up those number in there first 5 starts, they'd be praised for pitching "pretty well" despite just coming up to the major leagues. This is a ridiculous argument.

Right. But if Bergesen or Tillman put up those number in there first 5 starts, they'd be praised for pitching "pretty well" despite just coming up to the major leagues. This is a ridiculous argument.

I like the job Waters has done so far, and would gladly keep him around to start the rest of the season. But, the answer to your argument is, Bergesen and Tillman are YOUNG prospects who are not major league ready yet, and thus these stats would be okay for guys that aren't quite ready. Waters is a 28 year old journeyman who is just now making it to the big leagues. Quite a difference if you ask me.

I like the job Waters has done so far, and would gladly keep him around to start the rest of the season. But, the answer to your argument is, Bergesen and Tillman are YOUNG prospects who are not major league ready yet, and thus these stats would be okay for guys that aren't quite ready. Waters is a 28 year old journeyman who is just now making it to the big leagues. Quite a difference if you ask me.

Jeremy Guthrie was a 28 year old journeyman a year ago.

It shows you how desperate we are for a starting pitcher.

Travis Driskill would have been a #2 on this staff...

Archived