Development in 2020

JMU_Birdfan

I wanted to start a thread to discuss which minor league guy's development in the 2020 season  would have the most impact for this organization? (could probably have been worded better)

For example: If Gunnar Henderson had a big jump this year and showed that he could maybe be the third baseman or Short Stop of the future. That would be huge for this organization.

I’m going to vote for DL Hall.    He’s got great stuff but unreliable command to date.     If he takes a step forward in that regard this year he has ace potential and we could see him make his major league debut early in 2021.     If he doesn’t, we’re looking at two full years in the minors and maybe limiting his role to 3rd/4th starter or late inning reliever.     

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to vote for DL Hall.    He’s got great stuff but unreliable command to date.     If he takes a step forward in that regard this year he has ace potential and we could see him make his major league debut early in 2021.     If he doesn’t, we’re looking at two full years in the minors and maybe limiting his role to 3rd/4th starter or late inning reliever.     

I think the correct answer is AR.  If he falters badly or suffers a serious injury the impact would be enormous.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the correct answer is AR.  If he falters badly or suffers a serious injury the impact would be enormous.

In a certain way, the development of your no. 1 prospect is always going to be the most impactful.    But I picked Hall because he seems to have a much lower floor than Rutschman:

Ceiling: Rutschman
The sky is the limit for Rutschman, who is perhaps the best all-around catching prospect since Joe Mauer was the No. 1 pick back in 2001. He has similar All-Star, if not MVP potential, and could make quick work of the Minor Leagues with his four plus tools (hit, power, arm, defense) and baseball acumen.

Floor: Rutschman
Rutschman’s blend of plus hitting ability and power from both sides of the plate would easily play at another position if he was forced to move from behind the plate, and he’s good enough defensively that he should still offer plenty of value as a glove-first regular or backup.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-catching-prospects-for-2020?t=mlb-pipeline-coveragebut