They all break 2020

weams

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 4:06 PM, MurphDogg said:

Yankees tough injury luck continues into 2020. I am very sad for them. ?

Tough break for Paxton though, especially going into his free agent year. He is a good pitcher, hope he comes back strong. 

https://nypost.com/2020/02/20/luis-severino-with-concerning-arm-pain-in-potential-yankees-nightmare/

Severino, the Yankees’ important right-handed starter, has been shut down due to right forearm soreness. Severino, 25, also has a loose body in his right elbow, the manager added, and suddenly a real possibility exists that the Yankees will open the season without Severino as well as James Paxton (back surgery), who will be out until at least May and the suspended Domingo German, who is eligible to return on June 5 after completing his 81-game sentence (started with 18 games last year) for domestic violence offenses.

The Yankees hope to have team physician Christopher Ahmad examine Severino here on Friday.

Severino received anti-inflammatories and had been throwing on flat ground again, but only fastballs and sliders. When Severino “re-entered” his changeup, as Boone put it, the pain re-emerged, prompting the shutdown.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, eddie83 said:

When other teams have pitching injuries, it’s “oh well that is part of the sport.”

When it happens to the Yankees it is a crisis.  

They lost more than 1800 games to injury last year, easily double what a team normally would expect.    Severino missed the first 151 games last year.   So, it’s totally understandable why this would be news.    

15 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Well except that Cobb is being treated with "kid gloves" and @Eric-OH has noticed.  But we don't expect him to be around much this year anyway, right?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect him to be in Sarasota a lot.

Eh, we’ll see.    He starts tomorrow for the O’s, and we’ll begin to get a bit of a clue.   Austin Wynns has caught him and does not seemed worried.  

Wynns also is working with some of the veterans on the staff, including Alex Cobb, who’s returning from hip and knee surgeries and starts Monday afternoon against the Phillies in Clearwater.

“He’ll be healthy,” Wynns said. “His preparation, he’s going about it the right way. If you talk to him, he feels and looks great and he will be someone to be reckoned with. He’s ready.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/02/wynns-on-rule-5-picks-they-have-great-big-league-stuff.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

They lost more than 1800 games to injury last year, easily double what a team normally would expect.    Severino missed the first 151 games last year.   So, it’s totally understandable why this would be news.    

Headline: "Tragically Yanks may have to dip into 5% of their reserves to keep their expected win total over 100"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

I said ‘light work’.  If they get him up and moving in early am sessions, I’m not there.  But we haven’t heard of that from anyone.  
He’s not on the same scale as like Wojo for example who’s lubed up and ready to hoss a session every morning.  Tomorrow’s pitch count and level of effort can answer some questions but we still have weeks to look at everybody.  

Just a neat note about Cobb.  At last year’s pitchers/catchers practice I met a kid who had the full Alex Cobb gear on including a customized glove-like ten years old.  I had to ask him why he loved Cobb, he had the jersey, cleats, signed cap...everything.  Him and his mom told me that while Alex was on TB, the kid’s father was killed in combat and somehow he was recognized at the Trop.  Cobb found out and basically adopted the kid and talked to him once a week and once he went to the O’s did the same thing.  I talked to the little guy for a while and his head was screwed on right.  He said he likes baseball, and he likes the O’s but he really only cares about Alex Cobb.  Just then Alex popped around the corner, got him and his mom on a golf cart and drove towards the stadium. I remember their names and how much they couldn’t wait to see him again.  Different perspectives all the time watching the same stuff.  

Thanks and I just saw this from Roch about Alex Cobb @Can_of_corn , @Frobby:

Alex Cobb remains scheduled to start Monday in Clearwater, but he took a flu test this morning because he’s been feeling under the weather for the last four days.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/02/notes-on-leblanc-rule-5-guys-davis-velazquez-and-more.html

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

My bias is showing. Just don’t have any sympathy for a team that pretty much has bought their pitching for my entire life.