2020 Comp Pick A (30): Jordan Westburg - SS - (JR) (Mississippi State)

They figured Cadyn Grenier will never hit, so they thought they'd try college SS again....  

I wanted high upside pitcher myself.... Kelley or Montgomery, or Fulton, or even taking a shot at JT Ginn...

3 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

They figured Cadyn Grenier will never hit, so they thought they'd try college SS again....  

I wanted high upside pitcher myself.... Kelley or Montgomery, or Fulton, or even taking a shot at JT Ginn...

They might move him to 2B, I hear they need a 2B.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Not a fan of the swing.  He's quick to the ball, but he seems to chicken wing himself a bit and I don't see a ton of extension on account of his lower half not getting through entirely.  Maybe they can work with the quick hands and build a swing out of him.

Just now, ScGO's said:

Not a fan of the swing.  He's quick to the ball, but he seems to chicken wing himself a bit and I don't see a ton of extension on account of his lower half not getting through entirely.  Maybe they can work with the quick hands and build a swing out of him.

I'm not a fan of rebuilding swings of college kids.  It seems like, as a best case scenario, you lose a year.

Here's hoping he's better than Cadyn Grenier!!!!    

I think I might be better than Cadyn Grenier....

So much for the picking Kjerstad so we could use some underslot savings on a high upside High Schooler theory....     

I hope these guys make me eat crow in a few years, but if you told me we'd have Kjerstad and Westburg for our top 2 picks, I'd have thrown my computer at you....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not a fan of rebuilding swings of college kids.  It seems like, as a best case scenario, you lose a year.

Yeah, you think that would be a good project for a toolsy HS guy, but not a 21 year old.  Maybe its a Hunter Pence type guy, ugly swing that gets results?  I'm trying to talk myself into liking this pick.  I apologize.

Just now, DocJJ said:

I hope these guys make me eat crow in a few years, but if you told me we'd have Kjerstad and Westburg for our top 2 picks, I'd have thrown my computer at you....

Agree with both sentiments.  I’m not hopeful though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Something tells me teams weren't lining up to draft Westburg.

He was ranked 29th so he was right around where people expected.  The Rays would have been team as they took a college SS with similar types.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It looks like Castillo has about 4/92 to go, forecasting him to get his 4th year from here to vest.    Maybe 3/68, but he hasn't done the job you hope if he misses that vesting option. His 2024 was bad by his standards.    I think he is the one Seattle trades if they move someone big for Bats, but I don't think Elias will be as strong on him as I have sometimes thought he might be in the past year. Burnes' suitors - I think David Stearns and Corbin Burnes is one of the most notable GM-player dynamics this winter.     Burnes might feel like Stearns is dead to him, but Scott Boras is probably advising him that isn't smart business. The Mets have ~$175M coming off payroll.    Cohen's strategy with Verlander and Scherzer wasn't wrong - the players just proved old and weak.    Stearns could go Soto $55M AAV and Burnes $35M AAV and have it barely be half.
    • Across the majors, are AAA hitters coming up and doing well or struggling at first? I wonder if the hitting is due to robo umps in AAA so they clearly know what the strike zone is and in the majors is flavor of the day with whichever that ump decides. 
    • So, it doesn’t matter which list he is #1 on as long as it’s one list?    Fangraphs is clearly going to be an outlier.   It’s doubtful that Baseball America, Pipeline, ESPN, Just Baseball, The Athletic, etc., etc.  are going to have Basallo #1 based on previous rankings. Fangraphs is the same place that didn’t have Cowser in our top 10. I’ll give you a half pat on the back because someone had Basallo #1.   The full pat on the back comes when another major site does it.
    • If money is no object, then this is where I'm going 1. Gerritt Cole (if he opts out) 2. Juan Soto
    • He hit 96 on the gun in his final start. His September was really strong and he made the postseason roster. He pitched very well at Camden Yards too. I’m hoping he can build off of some of that success and win a rotation spot out of spring training. 
    • I would still try to resign Santander.  I think he improves the chances of winning a World Series in 2025 more than any other addition the O's could realistically make on the position player side of things. I don't see us getting Soto or Alonso. I think 4 years, 75 million, wouldn't be that crazy. Ages 30-33 seasons.  I also think he could play some 1B in the later years of that deal. He might get more, but make him say no to that.
    • Grasyon pitched 122 inn with Bal and 41 inn with NOR in 2023.
  • Popular Contributors