Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Mountcastle was ready offensively too.    Opinions differ on whether he was ready defensively, and whether that should matter if he was ready offensively.    I’m willing to give the O’s the benefit of the doubt on that.    And I’m perfectly comfortable playing service time games while your team stinks, as long as you don’t totally abuse it.  

I agree, I’m okay with the service game. I’m not really sure about what can/would be considered use abuse. It would obviously advantageous to have a handful of these guys all ready at one time.

6 hours ago, MGH5208 said:

1) I Love this site and value the opinions and insight of everyone on it although I may not always agree.  Don't post much because, to be honest, I can't keep up with all the posts and am usually 5 pages behind the discussion :)

2) My opinions differs from yours.  I understand yours and respect them.  But why would I want to post a reply only to be greeted with "this is just another example of a poor post! "  just because its different than yours.  My opinion is not valued by you.  No "discussion" can start like that.   I don't negative rep for your opinion, only when you treat someone else like a piece of crap. 

3) Its all good though because any time I see one of your posts, I think of the Ron White bit about "maybe it's me."  and i get a good laugh.   Not posting the link but be careful of foul language if you search on youtube.  

1) I get it and most people jump into these discussions without reading the prior pages.

2) How would you know if I valued your opinion? Since you rarely post anything In the forum yet you regularly  use the rep button. I guess if that is your thing it is what it is.  But it really bugs me when I’m bombarded with downvotes from a guy (or two) that doesn’t contribute to the conversation. And one downvote really isn’t a big deal but when it’s a bunch of times it gets annoying.

As far as “treating someone like a piece of crap”, my response is usually tied to a previous post. Example, being asked the same question that was answered by me a few pages ago, being told that I need to win a conversation or else, and other provoking replies.

3) I really have no interest in going searching for Ron White and I’m guessing it will just provoke another unpopular response.

I was probably out of line calling you a troll. But, I get tired of getting downvotes from you and one other guy. And not even contributing to the conversation. You know kinda playing god by sitting in judgement with the rep button. I’d be willing to bet you’ve handed me nearly as many downvotes as I’ve given out total in my lengthy time here. I guess if that’s your thing it is what it is.

But, as a regular poster I’d ask that you please post more and remove your finger from the trigger 

Thanks ?

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, makoman said:

Every year a handful of players who were HS draftees or amateur free agents debut at 20. I don't see why the very best college players shouldn't be capable of playing in the majors in their first year or so after being drafted when they are 21 or 22. Whether that is best for their development or service time issues is a different story and probably why it rarely happens. Even so, it is nice to hear that about our somewhat controversial draft pick.

The only reason we don't see a fair number of players skip the minors entirely or almost entirely is service time.  If there was a fixed age for free agency, like 28, you'd see the number of teenagers and direct-from-college players in the majors go up by five times overnight.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The only reason we don't see a fair number of players skip the minors entirely or almost entirely is service time.  If there was a fixed age for free agency, like 28, you'd see the number of teenagers and direct-from-college players in the majors go up by five times overnight.

Really? If that were the case what do you think the success rate of the first attempt at the majors? I believe that it would be very low. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really? If that were the case what do you think the success rate of the first attempt at the majors? I believe that it would be very low. 

Agreed. Although Rutschman was ill when he first arrived, who here honestly believes he would be a productive major leaguer if he was sent straight to Baltimore?  Hold his own? Maybe. But that's far different than succeeding and being an All-Star level player like you would expect him to after 2-3 years in the minors and a year or two in Baltimore.

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Probably not a whole lot different than if you make them have 100 games at three or four minor league levels.  You're not going to take most teenagers and make them 600 PA regulars.  You break them in slowly, platoon them, play them in spots where they have more of an impact. 

In the 1930s there were 121 seasons of players up through age 20 in the majors, with just 16 teams.

1940s: 190
1950s: 216
1960s: 333
1970s: 156 (free agency hit here, but took awhile for the implications to be realized)
1980s: 64
1990s: 46
2000s: 46
2010s: 46

It's not just service time, there are other factors like quality of play.  But prior to free agency and the importance of service time players were routinely given minor league apprenticeships that would be considered borderline criminal today. 

Brooks Robinson was in the majors at 18.  And not because he shot through five levels of minors, he had 400 PAs in Class B ball, which is kind of like Frederick today.

Palmer was mostly pitching relief in the majors at 19, after 19 starts with Aberdeen (ND) in Class A Ball. Frank was in the majors at 20 after 1.5 seasons in class A, and eight games in AA.  Dave McNally's age 20 season was 7-8, 4.58 in the majors, after debuting at 19.  Boog was in the majors at 19.  Milt Pappas made four starts at 18.  Jack Fisher pitched 27 MLB games at the age of 20. 

Most of those guys had good careers, many of them great.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Agreed. Although Rutschman was ill when he first arrived, who here honestly believes he would be a productive major leaguer if he was sent straight to Baltimore?  Hold his own? Maybe. But that's far different than succeeding and being an All-Star level player like you would expect him to after 2-3 years in the minors and a year or two in Baltimore.

Productive major leaguer would be an improvement over last year's catchers.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Productive major leaguer would be an improvement over last year's catchers.

Right, I said I doubt he would be a productive ML'er if he was sent directly to Baltimore after being drafted.

Edited by CarrRun49
Mistake

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he could have been more productive than Sisco.

Maybe Severino depending on how you value defense.

Severino has probably a top 5-10 arm in baseball behind the plate. There is an adjustment between the college ranks and professional ball.  There is always a jump.  I don't buy that he'd be ready day 1.    

3 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Severino has probably a top 5-10 arm in baseball behind the plate. There is an adjustment between the college ranks and professional ball.  There is always a jump.  I don't buy that he'd be ready day 1.    

AR is supposed to be a grade A framer.  Supposedly that has immense value.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

AR is supposed to be a grade A framer.  Supposedly that has immense value.

Hasn't that most recently been deemed an overrated advanced statistic?  That umps were calling balls and strikes regardless of the framing?

1 minute ago, CarrRun49 said:

Hasn't that most recently been deemed an overrated advanced statistic?  That umps were calling balls and strikes regardless of the framing?

Notice I said supposedly.  I don't think it has the impact some folks think it does.

16 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Brooks Robinson wasn't a good player until 23.  But he spent parts of five years and 1000 PAs in the majors from 18-22.  Sometimes the best way to develop the skills to be a major league player is in the majors.

• Upvote 2