Current Draft Order

You do make a few valid points and I agree in that there are players on the team that I want gone, or that I know will not be a part of this team when we are competitive, and there may be no point in winning these games. But I guess to me the answer lies in another sports cliche "the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" That's who I'm rooting for the ORIOLES, sure I have favorite players that I want to see perform well, but ultimately it's about the team, and I want to see my team win! As for the bolded part, this is the hardest time of the season to cheer on the team, but I know that's all I can do, because I could never root for them to lose. I apologize if this post is more of a frustrated ramble it's hard for me to put this into words I guess the easiest way for me to say it is I don't like to Lose and I don't like to see my team lose.

Makes perfect sense to me. I was just curious because I do love the O's, but I have found it so hard to cheer for them to end this season. I really like your "the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" analogy. Thanks for the explanation.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think whether or not the O's win is less important than how they are playing... or not playing.

The way I look at it is this...

We need to instill a professional attitude on this team, regardless of who wears the uniform. Too many players on the team have appeared to be packing it in, and while it helps our draft position, it sets a bad precedent.

I'd rather go out strong, with pride in my abilities as a man, to perform to the standards set down by thousands before me, from generation to generation, while getting to play a game beloved by untold millions. It should be an honor and a privilege to wear the uniform.. even if it seems that the games have no meaning.

I only take solace in the fact that losing improves the chance to take a better player, but I won't accept the team performing at a level far below than what is expected of them. It is a matter of pride... in one's self, one's team, and the city and league they so fortunately represent.

before people fly off their rocker, please realize this - the team is not playing well, they are losing on their own accord. no amount of rooting from anyone is going to slide wins or losses one way or another.

but i can tell you this - i'm all for a higher draft position, because it's the one thing that you can take away as a positive from this late season slide.

well - perhaps you get a feel for which players are quitters and show them the door...

so there are 2 things.

nobody likes losing - hence the desire for the best possible player in the draft.

Pittsburgh would have to win three of its last five games for us to move up.

Fixed that one for you. The Orioles have to lose three and the Pirates have to win three for us to get the 4th pick. As it's been pointed out, Pittsburgh owns the tiebreaker because of worst record in 2007. Had we played that Oakland game, we might have been able to go up 1/2 a game on them if there was a tie.

Well, AS OF RIGHT NOW, the Top 4 picks are Strasburg, White, Green and Ackley. Obviously, Strasburg is a pipe dream, but I'd love to get my hands on White (the 2nd best pitcher in the draft), Green (the best position prospect AND SS) or Ackley (1B). Any of those three would fill a void for this team, which probably means they'll be drafted by the Nationals, Padres and Pirates, respectively. :P

Well, AS OF RIGHT NOW, the Top 4 picks are Strasburg, White, Green and Ackley. Obviously, Strasburg is a pipe dream, but I'd love to get my hands on White (the 2nd best pitcher in the draft), Green (the best position prospect AND SS) or Ackley (1B). Any of those three would fill a void for this team, which probably means they'll be drafted by the Nationals, Padres and Pirates, respectively. :P

I would not forget that Mr. Crow could quite easily be considered for the top four... but as of now that is pretty close. By next year I imagine a player or two or even three that is not among 'our' five, will go top 5... it happens all the time. :)

I don't think Ackley the 1B is a top 4 talent. Ackley the CF (and he should be back out there) should be. If for some reason it turns out Ackley's limited to 1B for the future, I'd imagine teams would prefer some of the other arms or perhaps a HSer like Tate. Ackley flashes above-average power in his swing, but I just don't see a non-thumper 1B going in the top 4.

Most likely, this doesn't matter -- I'm just sayin...:)

I don't think Ackley the 1B is a top 4 talent. Ackley the CF (and he should be back out there) should be. If for some reason it turns out Ackley's limited to 1B for the future, I'd imagine teams would prefer some of the other arms or perhaps a HSer like Tate. Ackley flashes above-average power in his swing, but I just don't see a non-thumper 1B going in the top 4.

You're probably right about the position change and his drop in value if not. I am under the asumption that he moves to CF or maybe even transitions to 2B. If he remains at 1B, then that would likely be related to his injured arm tweaking on him again... and that would not be a good thing.

Update: Thursday Morning, 9-25-08

00.0 GB 1> Seattle, 58-100

01.0 GB 2> Washington, 59-99

03.0 GB 3> San Diego, 61-97

07.0 GB 4> Pittsburgh, 65-93

09.0 GB 5> Baltimore, 67-91

12.0 GB 6> San Francisco, 70-88

12.5 GB 7> Atlanta, 71-88

13.5 GB 8> Detroit, 71-86

14.5 GB 9> Kansas City, 73-86

00.0 GB 9A> Washington (Failure to sign Crow)

15.0 GB 10> Colorado, 73-85

16.0 GB 11> Cincinnati, 74-84

17.0 GB 12> Oakland, 75-83

18.5 GB 13> Texas, 77-82

21.0 GB 14> Arizona, 79-79

21.0 GB 15> Cleveland, 79-79

For the full order, please go here.

I would not forget that Mr. Crow could quite easily be considered for the top four... but as of now that is pretty close. By next year I imagine a player or two or even three that is not among 'our' five, will go top 5... it happens all the time. :)

Yeah, after getting a decent night's sleep, I'm pretty sure I was freaking out over nothing. :o:D

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that about Ackley. :)

There also always seems to be atleast one HS player that will jump up into the top few picks. I think that right now it is easy to say that Strasburg, White, Green, Crow and Ackley are going to be top 5, but I would be willing to wager that there is a HS SS (or another position) that will pop into the top half of the top ten before all is said and done. I am very happy with the #5 pick in the draft. I think that we will get a very good player. It is still crazy to think that we were around the 11th pick about 2 weeks ago. :confused:

There also always seems to be atleast one HS player that will jump up into the top few picks. I think that right now it is easy to say that Strasburg, White, Green, Crow and Ackley are going to be top 5, but I would be willing to wager that there is a HS SS (or another position) that will pop into the top half of the top ten before all is said and done. I am very happy with the #5 pick in the draft. I think that we will get a very good player. It is still crazy to think that we were around the 11th pick about 2 weeks ago. :confused:

I don't see any HS SS that could jump into the top 5. Deven Marrero is my favorite and there are still questions about his bat (though he looked good at Wrigley in BP and in the game).

Tate/Davidson/Matzek/Turner/Purke a handful of catchers like Bailey/Stassi/Maddox/Walsh are decent bets. Oh, Mychal Givens is a SS, but he looked more like a RHP/SS than a SS/RHP by the end of the summer. He could go off and end up in the top 5, conceivably.

Archived