Current Draft Order

Since my thread in Orioles talk was apparently deleted since there are so many more valuable topics going on.. I'll comment in this one.

We just about have the 5th spot locked up unless we win out and the pirates lose out.

Your thread was deleted because it did not belong in the Orioles Talk forum, and we warned everyone about doing such.

I agree with you that it would take an unusual finish by the Pirates, winning out and us losing out. Unlikely.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your thread was deleted because it did not belong in the Orioles Talk forum, and we warned everyone about doing such.

I agree with you that it would take an unusual finish by the Pirates, winning out and us losing out. Unlikely.

Considering the tagline for the Orioles Talk forum is "Anything Orioles" I think their remaining schedule and record, pertaining to their draft pick, is still relevant to the Orioles parent ball club. NOT just the amateur draft. So if me commenting to the Orioles board that the silver lining of the ORIOLES SEASON is their draft pick is too far over the line, maybe I just don't understand the line.

But you mods tend to enjoy deleting and moving things, so I'll keep it to "we suck" threads until the offseason.

Considering the tagline for the Orioles Talk forum is "Anything Orioles" I think their remaining schedule and record, pertaining to their draft pick, is still relevant to the Orioles parent ball club. NOT just the amateur draft. So if me commenting to the Orioles board that the silver lining of the ORIOLES SEASON is their draft pick is too far over the line, maybe I just don't understand the line.

But you mods tend to enjoy deleting and moving things, so I'll keep it to "we suck" threads until the offseason.

You are right about one thing... you don't understand the 'line'. I tried to explain it to you, and felt that my response was professional.

However, your attitude and rude demeanor toward the mods/staff here is absurd. It will not be tolerated by you or anyone.

Oh yeah...deleting and moving threads is a real good time! :rolleyes:

There were/are already threads being discussed on the topic. I'm sorry you feel like you're point of view is SOOOO intelligent and unique that it warrants its own thread, but it doesn't.

And by the way...if "we suck" is all you're going to bring to the discussion, you can take it elsewhere. You don't have to wait until the off-season!!!

You are right about one thing... you don't understand the 'line'. I tried to explain it to you, and felt that my response was professional.

However, your attitude and rude demeanor toward the mods/staff here is absurd. It will not be tolerated by you or anyone.

Props to murrayfan420. Greg's so darn fair and rational all the time that it makes me want to pinch him just to him mad. You didn't quite get there murrayfan420, but you got close. :rolleyestf:

Props to murrayfan420. Greg's so darn fair and rational all the time that it makes me want to pinch him just to him mad. You didn't quite get there murrayfan420, but you got close. :rolleyestf:

Hehehe. I feel like Kevin Bacon in Animal House at this point... standing and yelling to the crazed masses that "All is well! All is well!" ;)

Back to topic... I agree with Stotle that there are many HS'ers to keep an eye on as the draft nears, and having a HS SS break through to the top 5 or even 10 would be a bit surprising.

You do realize that the amateur draft is the event where they make draft picks right? That is probably the reason it was moved to the amateur draft forum. Call me crazy!

Look I didn't want to spark a discussion about the merits of the mods, and certainly not Greg. The stuff he contributes goes far and beyond any of the opinions I drop around here.

I was a little annoyed, and still think the thread was relevant.. but Greg and I talked about it so as far as I'm concerned it's no big deal and I'm cool with the powers that be.

Is there any chance that Grant Green falls to us?

I have to admit I feel slightly pathetic that I'm researching the 2009 amateur draft..which is 9 months away.

There is a chance. As you inferred, the draft is a long way off, and many things can happen before the picks are made. Does he have a so-so junior year? Does he have a huge year and Boras tries to guide him to us at #5? Do others have monster years and push into the mix? Time will tell, but I'd love to get him.

Is there any chance that Grant Green falls to us?

I have to admit I feel slightly pathetic that I'm researching the 2009 amateaur draft..which is 9 months away.

The easy answer would be "it's too early to tell", but looking at the top prospects right now I would be really shocked. A college SS prospect that is a year or 2 away from reaching the majors will be tough for a lot of teams to pass on IMO. I think that if he has the year that everyone thinks that he is going to have, he will be gone in the top few picks. For some reason I keep getting a bad feeling that we are going to draft Crow. I know that may not seem like a bad thing to some people, but I really didn't like the way he and his agent handled the Nats this year after they drafted him.

NOTE: I also thought there was NO WAY that Matt Weiters would fall to us 2 years ago. :scratchchinhmm:

There is a chance. As you inferred, the draft is a long way off, and many things can happen before the picks are made. Does he have a so-so junior year? Does he have a huge year and Boras tries to guide him to us at #5? Do others have monster years and push into the mix? Time will tell, but I'd love to get him.

I think his drop would have more to do with how others perform. If 2-4 players can establish themselves as reasonable top 5 selections, and Green goes Posey/Crow with his demands, he could drop. I don't think a down year would do it unless it's so bad that it raises questions (in which case I'm not sure we'd want him).

Update: Friday Morning, 9-26-08

We are in 5th place, 2.5 games 'behind' Pittsburgh, and 2.5 games 'ahead' of San Francisco... with all three teams having 3 games to play this weekend.

If Pittsburgh sweeps San Diego and we lose all 3 to Toronto, we pick 4th. If we win all 3 and SF loses all 3, we pick #6.

Again, barring an unusual series of sweeps, we are choosing 5th in the 2009 draft.

00.0 GB 1> Seattle, 58-101

01.5 GB 2> Washington, 59-99

04.0 GB 3> San Diego, 62-97

07.0 GB 4> Pittsburgh, 65-94

09.5 GB 5> Baltimore, 67-91

12.0 GB 6> San Francisco, 70-89

For the full draft order, go here.

Update: Friday Morning, 9-26-08

We are in 5th place, 2.5 games 'behind' Pittsburgh, and 2.5 games 'ahead' of San Francisco... with all three teams having 3 games to play this weekend.

If Pittsburgh sweeps San Diego and we lose all 3 to Toronto, we pick 4th. If we win all 3 and SF loses all 3, we pick #6.

Again, barring an unusual series of sweeps, we are choosing 5th in the 2009 draft.

00.0 GB 1> Seattle, 58-101

01.5 GB 2> Washington, 59-99

04.0 GB 3> San Diego, 62-97

07.0 GB 4> Pittsburgh, 65-94

09.5 GB 5> Baltimore, 67-91

12.0 GB 6> San Francisco, 70-89

For the full draft order, go here.

PIT wins, O's lose - not an ideal dilemna to have but we nonetheless get closer to #4.

LB W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10 DIV WC POFF

Seattle 58 101 .365 40.5 32-46 26-55 650 797 -147 Lost 2 1-9 0.0 0.0 0.0

Washington 59 100 .371 39.5 34-46 25-54 635 813 -178 Lost 2 3-7 0.0 0.0 0

San Diego 62 98 .388 37 34-45 28-53 633 756 -123 Lost 1 5-5 0.0 0.0 0.0

Pittsburgh 66 94 .413 33 39-42 27-52 727 880 -153 Won 1 3-7 0.0 0.0 0.0

Baltimore 67 92 .421 31.5 36-42 31-50 779 858 -79 Lost 10 0-10 0.0 0.0

GB 1.5?

PIT wins, O's lose - not an ideal dilemna to have but we nonetheless get closer to #4.

LB W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10 DIV WC POFF

Seattle 58 101 .365 40.5 32-46 26-55 650 797 -147 Lost 2 1-9 0.0 0.0 0.0

Washington 59 100 .371 39.5 34-46 25-54 635 813 -178 Lost 2 3-7 0.0 0.0 0

San Diego 62 98 .388 37 34-45 28-53 633 756 -123 Lost 1 5-5 0.0 0.0 0.0

Pittsburgh 66 94 .413 33 39-42 27-52 727 880 -153 Won 1 3-7 0.0 0.0 0.0

Baltimore 67 92 .421 31.5 36-42 31-50 779 858 -79 Lost 10 0-10 0.0 0.0

GB 1.5?

G Green, baby - G....GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Archived