Attention Chris Davis

SteveA

Bryce Harper just came to the plate with a man on first.  He was 0 for the season so far.  They were playing an extreme shift on him.

He laid a perfect bunt down the third base line for a hit.  

Realmuto followed with a 3 run HR.

So Chris Davis doesn't want to do that because it's "not his game".

Didn't stop Bryce Harper 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not sure what to think of Brandon Hyde yet, and considering what he has to work with, you should probably get the benefit of the doubt. However, it reflects very badly on him that he lets Davis continue to do the things that he does, even though they continue to fail.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe it's Bryce Harper's game?

Also Davis is wicked slow, I don't see him legging out many bunt singles.

He would have beaten this one out.  He probably would have gotten to first before someone got over to the 3rd base bag to pick it up where it had rolled to a stop.

Brandon Hyde is not going to tell Chris Davis to lay down a bunt.  They aren't interested in CD doing that.  They are interested in CD hitting HR's and driving in runs.  Since he can't do that AND won't take it on himself to try to do something different, we're stuck with him until he decides to go.  I just wish they would park him on the bench and move on or just release him.  He is the most enormous albatross in the history of albatrosses. :)

• Upvote 1

Davis as a hitter is worthless right now. Better to skip him in the order. Bunt singles are better than that. He needs a hole on the right side of the infield to drive in runs now. Keep getting bunt singles down there and the shift moves. Now his percentage of getting a hit goes up. At the end of last season, Hyde should have told Davis that until he could bunt down there his ass would be on the bench five days out of seven. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Davis as a hitter is worthless right now. Better to skip him in the order. Bunt singles are better than that. He needs a hole on the right side of the infield to drive in runs now. Keep getting bunt singles down there and the shift moves. Now his percentage of getting a hit goes up. At the end of last season, Hyde should have told Davis that until he could bunt down there his ass would be on the bench five days out of seven. 

I don't see why folks think that bunt singles are automatic.  They aren't.  Sac bunts aren't automatic and half the time the opposing team is trying to help facilitate them.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure he could, if they’re shifting and the bunt was half decent.     I’d like to see him try it a couple of times but I’m not expecting him to do it.   

Davis has tried bunting before and he has been unsuccessful. I don't know why people think bunting won't go poorly again. It was a good idea for Davis to try, but did not go well.

I think a lot of Davis' issues are between the ears. He used the whole field better before he let the shift get in his head. Davis is thinking too much at the plate. He needs to just be natural. I think he we all agree he is probably done, but I don't think expanding his thinking at the plate is going to help. He is better when he is reactionary.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see why folks think that bunt singles are automatic.  They aren't.  Sac bunts aren't automatic and half the time the opposing team is trying to help facilitate them.

No but excluding fouls, I think sac bunts are successful more often than not.  And we are talking about bunting down the 3B line when there is no infelder on that side of second base.  Ignoring the ones that go foul, the only possible negative outcomes are popouts and balls that the pitcher or catcher is able to field and get the out.  I think it would take a ton of skill to hit .400 or .500 in those circumstances (note the post above that Bryce Harper is 5 for 6).

Certainly he should be able to achieve a higher OBP on bunts than he does now.  And that might cause teams to lessen or abandon the shift.

Seems worth trying but he is on record as not wanting to.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the closest infielder has shifted off to Nebraska somewhere, all he's really got to do is get it by the pitcher and keep it fair.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bryce Harper just came to the plate with a man on first.  He was 0 for the season so far.  They were playing an extreme shift on him.

He laid a perfect bunt down the third base line for a hit.  

Realmuto followed with a 3 run HR.

So Chris Davis doesn't want to do that because it's "not his game".

Didn't stop Bryce Harper 

Have you actually watched when Chris Davis tried to bunt? It really didn't go well.  

• Upvote 1