Update: Chris Davis missed two games with sinus infection, has recovered

MurphDogg

This is :bs: , IMO. The fans deserve, especially this season, to be told something about why a player is "unavailable" and hasn't shown up for a game. If a player's got a personal problem or a family emergency or is grieving, or needs a day off to get his head straight, that's all we need to know. If (hard to believe here), he's not playing because there's a trade under discussion, he should be with the team, and you can say what you want, or even lie if you want, about why he's on the bench.

But to say that a player is unavailable and is not with the team, and it's none of the fans' damn business why, doesn't strike me as right for a sport that has a real problem with its public.

My opinion, this is more an issue of Hyde not being more of a schmooser with the beat writers.  Buck wouldn’t have just said “unavailable”.   
My speculation is that two issues surrounding the Orioles organization in the 48 - 72 hours prior to Wednesday’s game come into play.  Davis’ role as MLBPA player rep required his significant participation in both the Orioles schedule change and proposed MLB rules changes.  Secondly, the passing of Mo Gaba, given Davis and his wife’s charitable work, especially in the area of pediatric surgery, there might be some connection there as well.  
Be well Chris Davis. 

Edited by JimGinSP
wording
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NedFromYork said:

Does Davis get paid if he opts out?  I assume he got a pro-rated salary if he plays.

No.   He would not get paid from the time he opts out to the end of the season. O's would owe from the first day of the season until the day he opts out.

I would not blame Davis for opting out.   He has made close to 120m in baseball.  He will still be owed 46m for 2021 and 2022.   He would give up about 7m by opting out.   He does need to risk Covid-19 any more than Ryan Zimmerman does.

• Upvote 1