Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So he’s had 4 seasons of over your figure 1.2, 2.3, 3.8, and 4.0. So your statement is ridiculous. He’s only had 2 negative WAR seasons due to injury. As bad as 2018 was he was still worth 1.2. The other two .6 & .8 were his rookie and second season. 

You totally misunderstood me. 0.3-0.5 so far in 1/6-1/5 of a year. So over a full year maybe 1.5-3.0. But he is likely doing better than should be expected given we have little better data for several years. Sure he was hurt a lot but that matters to expectations. 

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They are close...but the Orioles are selling and I don’t suggest that they buy anything that costs prospects 

I’m not suggesting it should be their strategy now to make a trade like that, but do you think say Ryan Mountcastle and 2 other prospects is equal value for Hernandez? 

27 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If he’s a perennial-300 hitter I’d be inclined to extend him early unless you can really sell high

If you think Hanser Alberto brings a lot back selling high, I have more bad news for you.

A .300 average doesn’t have much value when it comes with a low OBP and no power. Today’s GMs understand this. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I’m not suggesting it should be their strategy now to make a trade like that, but do you think say Ryan Mountcastle and 2 other prospects is equal value for Hernandez? 

If you think Hernandez/Santander helps you go deep and perhaps steal a World Series in a strange year you probably make the deal. If you think either guy is a budding star it’s a no brainer. 

20 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

If you think Hanser Alberto brings a lot back selling high, I have more bad news for you.

A .300 average doesn’t have much value when it comes with a low OBP and no power. Today’s GMs understand this. 

He was a 3 WAR player last year and I agree that I’d like to see him walk enough to get his OBP around .350. His OPS last year which was a breakout season was .751 and he’s close to .800 now. 

As I mentioned, I like his game enough to extend him on a reasonable deal. So I’m not heartbroken if no one will overpay 

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

It is a same the Pirates are not buyers again they traded Glasgow and Meadows for Chris Archer.  Why couldn’t Gausman been just bit better that year so we could have got that haul.  That might turn out to be one of worst deadline trades ever.

Orioles bad luck ....Bundy probably nets more at the deadline than we got for him in the fall.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

It is a same the Pirates are not buyers again they traded Glasgow and Meadows for Chris Archer.  Why couldn’t Gausman been just bit better that year so we could have got that haul.  That might turn out to be one of worst deadline trades ever.

I believe Shane Baz was included in that deal as well. Awful deal for the Pirates. The Rays have made some very astute trades in the past several years. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Don’t forget about Shane Baz too.

Incredible deal for them.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I believe Shane Baz was included in that deal as well. Awful deal for the Pirates. The Rays have made some very astute trades in the past several years. 

The Rays took Matt Garza and turned him into Chris Archer in 2011 then kept Acher til 2017 then turned him into Glasnow, Meadows and Baz.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Rays took Matt Garza and turned him into Chris Archer in 2011 then kept Acher til 2017 then turned him into Glasnow, Meadows and Baz.  

Looking farther back they took Jason Bartlett hot half season into Garza in 2007 then Garza into Archer then to Glasnow, Baz and Meadows.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Looking farther back they took Jason Bartlett hot half season into Garza in 2007 then Garza into Archer then to Glasnow, Baz and Meadows.  

That’s the difference between a good front office and a mediocre to bad one. 

Pretty impressive series of trades .... but it also takes some luck.

interesting .... Archer and Cobb are pretty close in regard to WAR. Archer is 1 ahead despite the fact that Cobb has most most of 2 seasons. I’d be willing to bet Rays fans would feel that Archer has underachieved the lofty projections that they had for him as a TOR. He’s only been worth a total of two wins combined in 2018 & 2019. Any he was only worth 1.3 in 2017. Seems like Pittsburgh overpaid. Hopefully we can get someone to overpay as well. Bundy was worth more from 2017 - 2019. ....5.5/2.1

I

21 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Alex Cobb to the Braves makes sense.  You could take Ender Incarte back to help with the money owed to Cobb.  Ender has 1 more year for 9 million left next year, he can play all three outfield positions can come in as pinch runner and defensive replacement for Mountcastle.  

I would see about Cobb to Braves for Incarte and Touki/Bryce Wilson/Kyle Muller trade whichever you like best of the three pitchers.  Doubt they will want to trade Anderson or Wright but you can ask.  

Cobb for Touki makes sense to me.  The Braves are really tired of Touki's inconsistent command and need an innings eater.  Then again, why would Touki's command improve with the O's?  I guess that's the question.  The O's would have to think they can get him straightened out.  If they can, he's a legit talent.  

I don't think Incarte has to be included.  Just have the O's pay a big chunk of Cobb's contract.