Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

On 7/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Arrieta has been pitching worse as the season has been progressing, but his ERA+ is 102 which is nearly identical to his 104 from last year.  

He still as a ways to go to reach his Orioles level of bad. 

Going to be checked out over the break for bone spurs.

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

Baseball can be a funny game.   Two guys who clearly weren't good enough to make the 47 win Orioles last year, are now playing for the Yankees, who have won 57 games at the All Star Break.

Nestor Cortes and Breyvic Valera.

Valera, part of the return for Manny, looked OK with the Os last year. Might have hit better than Martin (or the guy we dropped in ST) but it wd have meant moving VIllar to SS.

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Valera, part of the return for Manny, looked OK with the Os last year. Might have hit better than Martin (or the guy we dropped in ST) but it wd have meant moving VIllar to SS.

Once Valera showed he couldn’t play SS it was going to be tough to have him on a roster because we’re going to have a “short” bench for the foreseeable future. 

On 7/6/2019 at 12:56 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Was at the Pirates Brewers game tonight.  The game featured some former O's and farmhands.

The two starters were Zach Davies (Parra Trade) and Steven Brault (Snider) trade.  Both trades I hated at the time.  Davies pitched well, giving up 1 run in 5 innings without his best stuff.  Brault also pitched well, getting no help from his catcher but left in the 5th with an arm injury.

The game also featured Matt Albers, who did his job and Josh Hader who got the Brewers out of a jam and then worked through the next inning.

Oh, and not Orioles related.  The pirates scored 5 in the 9th to tie it, gave up 1 in the tenth, and then lost with 2 runners on and a starting pitcher pinch hitting because they had used their bench up.  I got a lot of nasty looks when I said this is why the NL needs the DH, because I don't want to see a good game end because a pinch hitting starting pitcher cant catch up to 95 mph heat.

Can I just say if you told me 10 years ago that Matt Albers would still be pitching in professional baseball, I'd have laughed in your face. 

Credit to him, man. He's been in the game 13 years and has basically only gotten better since his Orioles stint. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rickard is killing the PCL.

400/443/618/1061   He has scored 16 runs in 15 games.

It's the PCL, isn't that below average? 

Kidding, but literally that's only the 3rd-best OPS on Sacramento (min 50 PA).  Team OPS is .858 and they're a .500 team.  They have 12 players with significant playing time with .800+ OPSes.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Can I just say if you told me 10 years ago that Matt Albers would still be pitching in professional baseball, I'd have laughed in your face. 

Credit to him, man. He's been in the game 13 years and has basically only gotten better since his Orioles stint. 

I always thought Albers was an important part of the Orioles bullpen when he was here.  Capable of pitching multiple innings off a short start.

Some people have pointed out his ERA and WAR were not impactful while he was here, but it does not surprise me he is still in the league.  He knew how to pitch, even if the physical skills limited his upside.

9 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I always thought Albers was an important part of the Orioles bullpen when he was here.  Capable of pitching multiple innings off a short start.

Some people have pointed out his ERA and WAR were not impactful while he was here, but it does not surprise me he is still in the league.  He knew how to pitch, even if the physical skills limited his upside.

He had a significant labrum tear and repair that took him about three years to come back completely. He was not at full physical capacity with the O's. He is one of the few that have come back from that better than before.

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's the PCL, isn't that below average? 

Kidding, but literally that's only the 3rd-best OPS on Sacramento (min 50 PA).  Team OPS is .858 and they're a .500 team.  They have 12 players with significant playing time with .800+ OPSes.

2nd best.  Williamson is with the Mariners and Yaz is with the Giants.   Green is the only one better on the team at this point.

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

Baseball can be a funny game.   Two guys who clearly weren't good enough to make the 47 win Orioles last year, are now playing for the Yankees, who have won 57 games at the All Star Break.

Nestor Cortes and Breyvic Valera.

I strongly feel we should have kept them both.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I strongly feel we should have kept them both.

Wasn’t it Valera vs Alberto. I think we kept the better player. 

I don’t know how we were going to keep Cortes last year when we needed fresh arms from the minors everyday. It would be impossible for us to keep a rule 5 pitcher, even with a 13 man staff. Just the reality of where we’re at. 

On a side note, Tyler Wilson is one of the better SP in the KBO again. That’s two seasons of success for him there in an offense friendly league. I could see him getting a shot with a MLB club this upcoming ST. He’s probably at least on par with Wojo and Eshelman.