Did the O's just sign their backup catcher of the future?

wildcard

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

No. They signed high quality minor league depth, at best. Reclamation project, who fell completely off in Tampa and hasn’t done anything since.

What’s next, is Fernando Abad going to be “the future Zack Britton?”

Hey, it's legitimate to ask questions.  The OP wasn't declaring him the Orioles' backup catcher of the future, just asking.  Like you can ask if perhaps the sun won't come up tomorrow?  Or if today is the day I learn to levitate things with my mind?  Or if people will be colonizing Neptune in a couple years?  Will Luxembourg invade Russia on Saturday? They're all just questions, stimulating discussions and the exchange of ideas.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

You can probably sleep until the 2021 draft.

Nah. The international signing day is in January, right, so that should be pretty interesting this year if Elias isn't blowing smoke.

As for the OP, you all are being tough. No, this guy isn't good enough to be anointed anything, but wildcard is right that he might just fit the profile of a useful backup catcher. Plus, coming from the Rays, I'm guessing he's good at pitch framing too. 

If the O's can find those sweet spots where it improves this guy's odds of getting a hit here and there, that's perfect. Now, I don't know how complimentary his strengths are to AR's, and that's something I'd want to know, but to know that I'd have to have a sense of whether AR has particular areas where he's less strong as a hitter. I don't know that though.

I like this signing. He may be a back-up catcher for us for a couple years, but my bet is he's an up-and-down guy. And to be honest, I would happily have a guy that was twice the top defensive player in the Ray's behind the dish in Triple-A as some of the young arms go through there.

I am also one that believes a back up catcher should be a good defender primarily though I do prefer someone who is not an automatic out at the dish. It will be interesting to see how good he is defensively and whether he can hit enough at least against right-handers to merit starting every 5-6 days as Rutschman gets a breather.

Man, I'd love to be in wildcard's shoes for a day.  Everything is bright and sunny.  In reality, it's like 40 degrees outside but if you think it's 75 with no humidity and a nice breeze...well, it is!  There are puppies everywhere.  Beautiful women everywhere.  World peace.  Burgers, wings, ice cream, eat as much as you want with no stomach issues later.  The Orioles are always on the verge of doing something great...just so great that in fact they might have their backup catcher of the future.  Man, that's nice.  

7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

What do we lose if that happens?

Still sounds like a low-risk move.

He is a very low risk move and I agree. At best, he is a good catcher in the system, probably ST depth and maybe AAA.

To make the leap that he was signed to be the heir to the backup catcher position, is a bit of a stretch for me.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hey, it's legitimate to ask questions.  The OP wasn't declaring him the Orioles' backup catcher of the future, just asking.  Like you can ask if perhaps the sun won't come up tomorrow?  Or if today is the day I learn to levitate things with my mind?  Or if people will be colonizing Neptune in a couple years?  Will Luxembourg invade Russia on Saturday? They're all just questions, stimulating discussions and the exchange of ideas.

Per my source named “Annie,” the sun will indeed come up tomorrow.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well. it is bright and sunny.  The Temp is 73 - in the house.  We have a puppy.  Yes, my wife is beautiful.  The best way to have world peace is to not turn on the news.   No stomach issues but I am trying drop a few pounds.  Love following the O's and thinking about what may make them better.  I can't complain.

Thanks for the nice note.

I knew it!  Only someone with a puppy could be so optimistic about everything!