Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but you are also interested in seeing Valaika get a lot of at bats and Valdez to be a starter, so I don’t think that’s saying much.  :D

I’m to the point where I just want somebody to be playing baseball.   Anyone with a pulse, and I’ll be interested.    

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s safe to say that if reports are true, that the Os valued him more than Miami.

Of course, we don’t know that the reports are true.

Probably correct, but something they may revisit over the next year. Duvall is up and down, not a longer term solution for them. 

Here’s what three of the big, public, freely available projection systems see for Santander in the 2021 season:

The Fangraphs projections are not pessimistic ones in that they are perfectly fine performance for an MLB player. With ZiPS, Santander is worth 1.7 WAR; Steamer puts him at 1.5. A good team needs some 1.7 WAR guys so that it’s doesn’t have several spots in the lineup with a revolving door of negative-value scrubs.

I’m hoping he can reduplicate his 2020 production over a full season and his OPS is .850+

https://www.camdenchat.com/2021/2/11/22276670/orioles-zips-projections-2021-anthony-santander

On 2/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, Sports Guy said:

you are also interested in seeing Valaika get a lot of at bats

FWIW, I am too. 

He's got a decent amount of pop and Jahmai Jones is probably going to need some time in the minors to get his swing straightened out before getting a crack at claiming the everyday 2B job, so why not see if Valaika can succeed as a platoon partner for Sanchez while also picking up semi-regular ABs at a few other positions while we wait for Jones to arrive? It's not like doing so is going to cost us a 2021 playoff berth or anything.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, Sports Guy said:

If he has a good first half, he will have plenty of suitors.  

Exactly.  And if gets some PT in CF and does well there, his trade value could increase - not that he'll convince anyone he should start in CF, but having that versatility to play there when needed can help.  

18 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Exactly.  And if gets some PT in CF and does well there, his trade value could increase - not that he'll convince anyone he should start in CF, but having that versatility to play there when needed can help.  

He had 20 starts in center in 2019. People are perfectly aware that he is capable of being a below average emergency center fielder. Just like Stevie Wilkerson.