Is it really only ONE day until pitchers and catchers report?

Frobby

There’s been so much uncertainty surrounding the start of the baseball season, I really haven’t been counting down the days until pitchers and catchers report as I normally would.   But I looked around and lo and behold, with the players’ rejection of the proposal to delay the season by a month, pitchers and catchers are due to report on Feb. 16, 11 days from now.    

So, will this happen?   Will reporters be allowed to roam the fields and cover spring training as they normally would?  Or at least, will there be a mechanism for the players to relate that they’re in the best shape of their lives, that they can’t wait for the season to start and that the ball is coming out of their hand really well?   And will spring training games actually start on Feb. 27, even if MASN is too miserly to show them?

I’m definitely ready.    It’s been a long 4+ months.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

My body is ready. Like, I like football but I friggin' love baseball. 

I can't wait to see how the young guys that have already been promoted to the Major League roster and might actually be a part of the next good Orioles team like Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer, Hays, Harvey, Santander, etc. do this year, and who plays well enough on the farm to earn promotions to the big league club as the season progresses. This is the first year in a few years where I am VERY excited about the beginning of the season since we're finally beginning to emerge from the most tedious part of the rebuild where a large portion of the roster is comprised of stopgap scrap heap guys (not that there aren't still a decent number of those for the time being) and the actual prospects are finally starting to arrive and claim jobs.

• Upvote 2

It’s interesting to think about what excites us when we are looking at 90 losses. The LAST thing I want to see is a bunch of washed-up veterans brought on board to provide “veteran experience” whatever the hell that means. I don’t want Felix or Wade to get 15 starts each, or Lopez or Eshelman either. I don’t want the David Hess-types to come along, unless they leave immediately. I want our warm bodies with potential to get whacks and innings, and sink or swim.  I want Baumann and The Z-Man(copywrite 2021) and Lowther and Bannon and Mckenna. Clean out the high minors and give ‘em all whacks and innings.

That’s what I wanna see...

On 2/5/2021 at 11:53 PM, Philip said:

It’s interesting to think about what excites us when we are looking at 90 losses. The LAST thing I want to see is a bunch of washed-up veterans brought on board to provide “veteran experience” whatever the hell that means. I don’t want Felix or Wade to get 15 starts each, or Lopez or Eshelman either. I don’t want the David Hess-types to come along, unless they leave immediately. I want our warm bodies with potential to get whacks and innings, and sink or swim.  I want Baumann and The Z-Man(copywrite 2021) and Lowther and Bannon and Mckenna. Clean out the high minors and give ‘em all whacks and innings.

That’s what I wanna see...

I agree with you.  But the tendency is to not stick with this plan, no matter how it is started  due to the sacred numbers that add  up to more losses than are acceptable, and peoples jobs may therefore be on the line.  So they cave. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ready for baseball and warm weather.  The abyss between NFL and Opening Day is the worst part of the year.

Amen! 
the super bowl is the final landmark before spring training, and those last 10-12 days are eternal, especially if the super bowl is over by the third quarter, as it apparently is right now.

Considering MLB officials and the players union representatives should have one goal and that's to figure out the 2021 baseball season, its amazing that we are sitting here still not sure. 

MLB oweners and the players really need to look at getting new leadership. The current ones they employ are awful.

Here's to a 162 game schedule and full minor leagues!!!

• Upvote 1