Who's the #15 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who's the number fifteen prospect?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the number fifteen prospect?

• Xavier Avery
    • Brad Bergesen
    • Tyler Henson
    • Greg Miclat
    • Lou Montanez

Bergesen was 18 last year after doing well at Delmarva but struggling somewhat at Frederick. If being Eastern League pitcher of the year doesn't move him up in the rankings then I guess performance means nothing at all. I don't think Tony takes it that far so I expect Bergesen to appear soon.

Frobby, I agree with you 100%, but I need to correct you in regards to Bergesen age. Last year Bergesen was 21 yrs old. His birthday is 9/25/85.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading other posters and looking at his peripherals, I've kinda soured on Bergeson. I think I'm have to go with Avery here. From what I've heard, he has a Carl Crawford-like ceiling. I'll take that over a Carlos Silva type guy in Bergeson.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bergeson can be successful in the majors, maybe even as good as Silva was (pre-2008). He does have 0.76 more K/9 that Silva over the course of his minor league career. That said, I see him as a #5 starter with the ability to be in a 2008 Matt Albers type long role in the future.

I'd rather have the guy with the 10% chance of becoming Carl Crawford than the guy with the 50% chance of being a 5th starter/swingman, as we have plenty of guys in our system that could fill that role.

Bergesen was 18 last year after doing well at Delmarva but struggling somewhat at Frederick. If being Eastern League pitcher of the year doesn't move him up in the rankings then I guess performance means nothing at all. I don't think Tony takes it that far so I expect Bergesen to appear soon.

I get your point, but it's not that cut and dry.

Look how many new additions to the fam system we have. It's without a doubt stronger than it was last year, so Bergeson could theoretically have a great year (OK, he did that, not theoretical), enhance his prospect status, but still move down in our rankings because of the addition of guys like Matsuz, Tillman, Patton, Avery, Bundy, Hoes, Montanez etc.

All that said, I still think Bergeson is one of the next two selections.

Eventually yes, now, no. ;)

I could make a case for any of these five. I'll go with Henson since you had him rated 11 last year and I doubt you'll drop him much further. His performance in Hawaii so far would justify putting him here though I realize you didn't take that into account when the list was drawn up.

Archived