Matt Harvey interview - Why the O's?

wildcard

31 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

This is great to hear from a somewhat bigger name (even if he hasn't been the stud he once  was). Hopefully this helps become a selling point for future FAs

If either Harvey or Hernandez has a big comeback year, that might move the needle.  

• Upvote 2

If both guys bounce back, we trade them at the deadline for post season contenders and rob their farm systems, a needle won’t be the only thing that moves.

Chris Holt and his analytical prowess might be a bigger move than we thought. He and perez are going to make a lot of Orioles fans very happy when we make it to the World Series several times in this decade.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

One of the better interviews you  will here this spring.   He came to work his Chris Holt.   Its worth the 10 minutes.

I've been watching all the MASN interviews every day since ST started.

And yes, came here because of Chris Holt (and his reputation) and also our heavy focus on the analytics. Nice to see that we're starting to be recognized and respected in the industry.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get too much out of this. There was an opportunity in Baltimore and his agent put a positive spin on it. Not to say that it's wrong, but all his answers started with "my agent said..." I guess it is positive that the organization seems to have a reputation for using tech and analytics. 

Seems more mature than his reputation now that he has had a few years of comeuppance. 

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I didn't get too much out of this. There was an opportunity in Baltimore and his agent put a positive spin on it. Not to say that it's wrong, but all his answers started with "my agent said..." I guess it is positive that the organization seems to have a reputation for using tech and analytics. 

Seems more mature than his reputation now that he has had a few years of comeuppance. 

I am not saying that I know much about Matt Harvey but in the past he always impressed me as a guy who wanted to do it his way.  He didn't listen much.  Thought he knew more about himself than anyone else.  That is not the guy in this interview.    He has failed enough over the passed few years that he seems ready to listen.

He hasn't completely learned his lesson yet because he seems to think some mechanical change is going to unlock the blazing fastball that is still inside him somewhere.    Truth is the days of leading with his fastball are probably over.     He needs to get the attitude that when he needs  to execute  any off speed pitches  he can rely on it.    He needs to accept that he can pitch backward.   

He is not there yet but Holt and company may be able to help him get there.   He may not make the team out of ST but I could see him going to the alternate site and working on getting confidence in his off speed pitches to the point that he can reenter the majors if he can just get his head in the right place.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not saying that I know much about Matt Harvey but in the past he always impressed me as a guy who wanted to do it his way.  He didn't listen much.  Thought he knew more about himself than anyone else.  That is not the guy in this interview.    He has failed enough over the passed few years that he seems ready to listen.

He hasn't completely learned his lesson yet because he seems to think some mechanical change is going to unlock the blazing fastball that is still inside him somewhere.    Truth is the days of leading with his fastball are probably over.     He needs to get the attitude that when he needs  to execute  any off speed pitches  he can rely on it.    He needs to accept that he can pitch backward.   

He is not there yet but Holt and company may be able to help him get there.   He may not make the team out of ST but I could see him going to the alternate site and working on getting confidence in his off speed pitches to the point that he can reenter the majors if he can just get his head in the right place.

The only reason this guy was ever relevant is because he pitched in NY. Anywhere else and he would have only gotten attention for his WS performance and then likely forgotten thereafter. 

11 hours ago, Explosivo said:

If both guys bounce back, we trade them at the deadline for post season contenders and rob their farm systems, a needle won’t be the only thing that moves.

Chris Holt and his analytical prowess might be a bigger move than we thought. He and perez are going to make a lot of Orioles fans very happy when we make it to the World Series several times in this decade.

I think the 90th percentile outcome for each is something like good 4/5th starter-level pitching/innings eating that gets a team (Assuming average system) sends their ~15-20th prospect and a Dominican teenager.

33 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

The only reason this guy was ever relevant is because he pitched in NY. Anywhere else and he would have only gotten attention for his WS performance and then likely forgotten thereafter. 

Uhhhh, he was worth 5.3 rWAR / 6.9 fWAR in his first full season. Sure being in NY helped, but he was REALLY good.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

89.6 mph 2213 spin rate. Is that a good spin rate? idk

It looks like he was hitting average FB velos in the range of 93-95 in 2020. Are you talking about something different?

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/matt-harvey/11713/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2018&end=2020&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

He definitely came across as a humbled, sober, mature guy. I just hope that he is not a beaten down shell of his former self. I did not hear much excitement. It does sound like he is open to trying new things.