Matt Harvey interview - Why the O's?

wildcard

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

It looks like he was hitting average FB velos in the range of 93-95 in 2020. Are you talking about something different?

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/matt-harvey/11713/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2018&end=2020&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

That's just from that video in the tweet. I'm sure he wasn't throwing full speed in the offseason.

2 hours ago, milbest77 said:

The only reason this guy was ever relevant is because he pitched in NY. Anywhere else and he would have only gotten attention for his WS performance and then likely forgotten thereafter. 

He was a well regarded prospect for any system.  He was set back with TJ.  Not sure what you are talking about with the NY reference, especially since the Mets aren’t exactly the Yankees or Dodgers when it comes to fan base

• Upvote 1

Saw he had a disease that resulted in removing a rib. He hasn’t been the same since the surgery. I don’t know if the advanced stuff will help him or not even though he’s interested in the Orioles because of it. Seems to me something in his motion and delivery changed due to having one less rib. If his velocity is still there it’s the only thing that makes any sense.

I think the above posters are correct. I think he just wants to get back to being successful and will buy in completely on whomever can deliver that result. Harvey said it when he said he was humbled and how things came naturally to him at first but now he is forced to learn. Some guys would just walk away as pride would have ended their career but not Harvey. I look at this situation as a major redemption story and I am excited we get to see that play out in Birdland. I really do think Chris Holt is a major catalyst as to why he chose to come here. We have plenty of arms and as we have seen with guys like Tanner Scott, Holt’s approach can fix pitchers and make them better every day. If Holt can make Harvey and King Felix “work” not only does that yield us prospects this year, it also opens the door for future acquisitions down the road. More and more pitchers will give the O’s a look and it may be the edge we need to get a big free agent to complete the team once we start playing in the World Series soon.

16 hours ago, scOtt said:

I've been watching all the MASN interviews every day since ST started.

And yes, came here because of Chris Holt (and his reputation) and also our heavy focus on the analytics. Nice to see that we're starting to be recognized and respected in the industry.

So what exactly is Hyde looking at to his upper left? Lol. He's been a little weird in these interviews, hard to get a read on him sometimes. 

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

So what exactly is Hyde looking at to his upper left? Lol. He's been a little weird in these interviews, hard to get a read on him sometimes. 

To Hyde's upper left when he is doing his presser is a board with names of all the players in camp.

Just now, wildcard said:

To Hyde's upper left when he is doing his presser is a board with names of all the players in camp.

He did say that one time, but continues to look up there when it's not a question where he'd need to reference it. And sometimes he will go silent for a good 15 seconds before answering a question. It's odd, is all. Love the guy though. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

He did say that one time, but continues to look up there when it's not a question where he'd need to reference it. And sometimes he will go silent for a good 15 seconds before answering a question. It's odd, is all. Love the guy though. 

I think it is mostly the board but... everybody, when asked a question and they're thinking about it, everybody has a direction they stare off into space toward. Different for each individual, but it's just human nature.