Sheffield...Most underrated player of his generation?

Sports Guy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/sheffga01.php

Wow, i was just looking at his stats and boy are they impressive.

128 career WARP3....Will likely have more than 500 homers and close to 3000 hits.

926 career OPS, including a 399 OBP...Pretty impressive career.

It is very impressive especially considering how much time he missed during his peak years.

Who else would be in the most underrated player of this generation category?

I'd think Biggio would be up there.

You can make a pretty good argument for Barry Bonds.

Say what you will about the guy and his issues, but statistically he'll be perhaps the single greatest player of all time. Yet he's spent his career in the shadows of Griffey Jr, Sosa/McGwire, and now ARod and Pujols.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/sheffga01.php

Wow, i was just looking at his stats and boy are they impressive.

128 career WARP3....Will likely have more than 500 homers and close to 3000 hits.

926 career OPS, including a 399 OBP...Pretty impressive career.

Just as impressive is how he's put up those numbers but still worn out his welcome in so many places.

Does everyone forget Sheffield was in the same stuff Bonds was?

If you say he is the most underrated of the generation then you have to conceede Bonds is the best player ever. You cant kill Bonds for his involvement then let Sheffield get a free pass

You can make a pretty good argument for Barry Bonds.

Say what you will about the guy and his issues, but statistically he'll be perhaps the single greatest player of all time. Yet he's spent his career in the shadows of Griffey Jr, Sosa/McGwire, and now ARod and Pujols.

I don't know. He was the story in the quest to bpass McGwire and if anything the ridiculously good start to Pujols career has been upstaged by Bonds.

I don't know. He was the story in the quest to bpass McGwire and if anything the ridiculously good start to Pujols career has been upstaged by Bonds.

I still think he's been underrated, especially during his pre-steroids years. He was the best player, yet, Griffey was considered better and McGwire and Sosa got all the attention in the late 90's. Bonds was left off the all century team, while Griffey was on it.

And even post HGH, he's been underrated by most who don't pay much attention to walks or OBP. Even ESPN called his season lackluster when the all star teams were announced, and basically made it seem like he didn't deserve to be on the team.

I'm not sure about most underrated, but he's certainly been underrated. I think Biggio, Bagwell, Kent, and Sheffield are great choices for most underrated.

I still think he's been underrated, especially during his pre-steroids years. He was the best player, yet, Griffey was considered better and McGwire and Sosa got all the attention in the late 90's. Bonds was left off the all century team, while Griffey was on it.

I agree w/that but I think the pendulum has swung back. I don't know how someone whom I consistently hear being talked about as one of the best players ever and the best player of a generation could be considered underrated.

I agree w/that but I think the pendulum has swung back. I don't know how someone whom I consistently hear being talked about as one of the best players ever and the best player of a generation could be considered underrated.

Well when many still think Griffey was better in the 90's and when his current season is called lackluster, he's still underrated. Plus, one of the greatest players ever might still be underrating him depending on what one means by that. He's in the top 2 players ever imo.

Archived