Orioles Announce Plans for New Dominican Training Academy

LTO's

Kind of cuts against the “O’s are cutting payroll because they’re cheap” narrative.    Nice to see them making this long term investment, which I think will pay dividends for a long time down the road.     Sounds like it won’t be ready until late ‘22 or early ‘23, but should be a good recruiting tool for the class that signs before the ‘23 season.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kind of cuts against the “O’s are cutting payroll because they’re cheap” narrative.    Nice to see them making this long term investment, which I think will pay dividends for a long time down the road.     Sounds like it won’t be ready until late ‘22 or early ‘23, but should be a good recruiting tool for the class that signs before the ‘23 season.   

Nice to see they are spending somewhere.

I don't think you can argue that overall expenditures aren't down pretty sharply from a few years ago.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's hope the new CBA doesn't include an international draft that renders this largely ineffective.

I guess it’s true that if they institute a draft the recruiting value of the facility will be virtually nil.    Still, the main purpose of a first class training facility is to provide the best environment for training the players.    So at least that core purpose will be served.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I guess it’s true that if they institute a draft the recruiting value of the facility will be virtually nil.    Still, the main purpose of a first class training facility is to provide the best environment for training the players.    So at least that core purpose will be served.   

Is it solely for players that have signed with the O's are is it also designed to be used by players that haven't signed a deal yet?

If it is the latter, a draft would limit that.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it solely for players that have signed with the O's are is it also designed to be used by players that haven't signed a deal yet?

If it is the latter, a draft would limit that.

I have no idea.   One of the many things I don’t know about how things work in the DR.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's hope the new CBA doesn't include an international draft that renders this largely ineffective.

Or does it? This would still allow them to train their "draft picks" in a stable, fruitful environment that should be fantastic for development.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

It can still help take you from four levels of US full season minors to two or three.    Now if I can just get the 9-year-old to be three years out to forego Disney for this...

Here is where you would know far better than me, but isn't this similar to what some of the top European soccer clubs do?   I don't know if the youngest "residents" at Real Madrid Academy are 13, 10, 8, 6, etc, or if they have contracts already though.

I'm not entirely sure how it's structured, but, yes, all the bigger clubs have youth academies going down to six or seven year olds.  Clearly not professional contracts but some kind of agreements.

Arsenal had Harry Kane, but at the age of seven released him because they said he wasn't very athletic and a little chubby.  Now at 27 he's been with Tottenham for about 20 years.