Fangraphs positional power rankings

Frobby

C 27th, 0.9 rWAR

1B 23rd, 0.6 rWAR

2B 28th, 0.5 rWAR

3B 23rd, 1.5 rWAR

SS 28th. 0.8 rWAR

This link takes you to the SS ratings and in that article there are links to the other positions.   They haven’t done OF, P or DH yet    I expect we’ll do better in the OF, and maybe DH.

• Upvote 1

I was struck with terror upon seeing the title of the article, but now I am feeling astonishment that three sets of catcher are anticipated to be worse than ours.

I also find it rather surprising that we spent a considerable amount of money at second base and shortstop to remain barely above replacement level

Edited by Philip
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was struck with terror upon seeing the title of the article, but now I am feeling astonishment that three sets of catcher are anticipated to be worse than ours.

I also find it rather surprising that we spent a considerable amount of money at second base and shortstop to remain barely above replacement level.I also find it rather surprising that we spent a considerable amount of money at second base and shortstop to remain barely above replacement level.

Pump the brakes there, Phil.  What considerable amount of money did we spend at SS and 2nd base?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sanchez and Galvis? Didn’t we spend 6 figures on each?

Bro, those guys aren't anywhere near the top 10 at their position in terms of compensation.  A quick look at Spotrac has Galvis as the 31st highest paid SS in the game.  Yolmer Sanchez is 29th highest paid 2nd baseman.

• Upvote 2

I thought the first base one was a little suspect. They had Davis getting like 150 at bats and being worth -0.6 WAR. That doesn't sound too crazy, but what if he doesn't get that many at bats? What if he doesn't get any? They were relatively high on Mountcastle and Mancini. I think by their own projections, the O's would have a top 50% 1st base unit if Davis doesn't play.

4 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I thought the first base one was a little suspect. They had Davis getting like 150 at bats and being worth -0.6 WAR. That doesn't sound too crazy, but what if he doesn't get that many at bats? What if he doesn't get any? They were relatively high on Mountcastle and Mancini. I think by their own projections, the O's would have a top 50% 1st base unit if Davis doesn't play.

Lord willin'.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, those guys aren't anywhere near the top 10 at their position in terms of compensation.  A quick look at Spotrac has Galvis as the 31st highest paid SS in the game.  Yolmer Sanchez is 29th highest paid 2nd baseman.

So what you're saying is that Elias exploited a market inefficiency? Paying 29th for 28th production is a win, right?

I mean, if I'm ownership and I know we're not going to win, I guess this would be a standard to judge Elias on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That’s a wonderful way of skirting my question which was, “didn’t we spend six figures on each of them?”

If we spent 1,000,000+ on each guy and we’re not getting even a single WAR out of either, the alternatives must’ve been really really bad

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s a wonderful way of skirting my question which was, “didn’t we spend six figures on each of them?”

If we spent 1,000,000+ on each guy and we’re not getting even a single WAR out of either, the alternatives must’ve been really really bad

I think the point is that $1,000,000 in MLB is the equivalent of Wal Mart prices, not Tiffany's. We got Wal Mart players for Wal Mart prices. There's plenty to complain about, but the anticipated "value" received for that cost is very reasonable.