Sanchez DFA’d: Flurry of moves could be just the beginning

eddie83

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

I never thought the Sanchez signing made sense because his bat is terrible. What exactly did Elias expect from him? I think Urias is the most logical choice, but they aren't starting him at 2B the past two games either. 

He was signed because of his defense.  

Just now, jabba72 said:

I knew it wasn't because of his offense. But his bat was so bad his value kind of evened out to zero in my opinion. 

If his defense was/is elite at second, this isn’t true.

But if his defense is merely just very good, he isn’t worthy of a spot.

I have said all off season that I thought Valaika is a better 2B than Sanchez when offense and defense are considered. But that they DFA'd Sanchez did surprise me.  The Valaika vs Urias is a question because I have not seen enough of Urias to have a good opinion.    I don't see Ruiz as a 2B.  

Elias should be able to find a replacement for Ruiz as a 3B backup with more versatility.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Is he viable anywhere? 

I guess Bannon is just an impossible choice? He IS a second baseman, at least.

IMO, Ruiz really doesn't have a place on this roster.  Seems like a good dude, might have a little pop but I don't see why anyone would give him a glove, anywhere.

I don't think Bannon will hit well enough to stick at the big league level but I dunno.  Oh well, I'm assuming Elias has something up his sleeve.  If Ruiz is the OD 2nd baseman, something is wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, Ruiz really doesn't have a place on this roster.  Seems like a good dude, might have a little pop but I don't see why anyone would give him a glove, anywhere.

I don't think Bannon will hit well enough to stick at the big league level but I dunno.  Oh well, I'm assuming Elias has something up his sleeve.  If Ruiz is the OD 2nd baseman, something is wrong.

It’s worth mentioning that Franco won’t be at 3B all year, he’ll very likely be traded at some point and there is a severe shortage of 3B in this organization. So I imagine Ruiz at 2B is just a mixture of experimenting with his positional flexibility and also seeing about keeping him on the 26 man roster while 3B is taken up. Of course this assumes that Elias sees Ruiz as a long term piece worth doing any of that with which is a whole other conversation. But I don’t see it as an issue if Ruiz is the OD 2B. It’s not like winning games matters right now anyways. 

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

It’s worth mentioning that Franco won’t be at 3B all year, he’ll very likely be traded at some point and there is a severe shortage of 3B in this organization. So I imagine Ruiz at 2B is just a mixture of experimenting with his positional flexibility and also seeing about keeping him on the 26 man roster while 3B is taken up. Of course this assumes that Elias sees Ruiz as a long term piece worth doing any of that with which is a whole other conversation. But I don’t see it as an issue if Ruiz is the OD 2B. It’s not like winning games matters right now anyways. 

Why are we assuming Franco will be traded?

I get that team needs arise as the season goes on and I agree that he could be traded but he couldn’t find a job until well into ST and he got less than 1M.  He’s not exactly some highly sought after guy and that was after having a good 2020 “season”.  I wouldn’t be assuming anything w/r/t Franco.

Going into the season with Valaika and Urias as your platoon at second is pretty lazy although they may think Jones is brought up soon, so they figure to go with a stop gap situation for now.

I also disagree that we have a shortage at third..I just don’t think we know who will end up there yet.

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

No one knows if Franco will be at 3rd all year.  It's an OH wet dream that we sign scrap heap guys, they'll somehow perform better than expected and we'll be able to net a prospect or something at the deadline.  I don't know if he'll likely be traded, neither do you.

They can experiment all day long with Ruiz at 2nd base, that's fine...but I don't see how he fits.  I don't like Valaika's defense but I think he's got to be better at 2nd base.  Urias certainly should be.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I agree with @eddie83, but the larger question is why bother with Ruiz at all? He’s pretty dreadful.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is actually the right question to ask imo.

It seems to me that they are trying to find a way to keep him.  Why?  What does he provide that you feel the need to have?

Like I said, he could stick until DJ gets back.  They may want the extra bat but really, what’s the point?  Just cut bait.

Ruiz could be DFA'd today and he's going to pass through. I guess with Stewart out he adds a left-handed bat who can back up 1B and 3B and allow Franco to DH occasionally. Once Stewart is able to go, I don't see him having a role on the team. He's a AAAA guy.