John Means 2021

Il BuonO

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When your catchers cant present the ball properly you are not going to get as many favorable calls.

He isn't being squeezed his catchers are hurting him.

Don’t disagree with this. He yelled at ump today, never see that with him. Has to be frustrated. Team is a mess. 

Since the no hitter, he has had 4 starts.  In those starts, he has given up 9 runs (all 9 in the last 3 starts) in 24.1 (still a very good ERA).

His K rate is only 6.7 and he had given up 6 homers, 2 each in the last 3 games.

The walk rate is still good but the Ks are down and each start he has had a below average swingstr% iirc.

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Speaking of K rate. Yeah I looked up Jeff Ballard today because I was thinking about the youth of the 89 staff. His K rate that year was 2.6. League average then was 5.5. What a different world. 

Olson's 9.5 would play fairly well today.  Had to have been elite back then.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ok that’s a bit of a longer layoff then I expected. I thought Means might sit out for two weeks and not an entire month. Hope this isn’t a prelude to a more serious injury. 

Yea but if you think about it, he probably gets 1-2 rehab starts.  Even if it’s just one, that’s a start and then 4 days off.  So that’s 5 days right there.  He wasn’t going to miss just another 9 days on top of that. Figure he starts working off the mound within a week, then he goes on a rehab assignment in late June/early July, has one or 2 starts and then the AS break is here.

Possible he pitches in a game before the break but they could just give him more time and wait until after.

Just hope he gets in a few good starts before July 30th and then they can decide whether trading him or not is on the table.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but if you think about it, he probably gets 1-2 rehab starts.  Even if it’s just one, that’s a start and then 4 days off.  So that’s 5 days right there.  He wasn’t going to miss just another 9 days on top of that. Figure he starts working off the mound within a week, then he goes on a rehab assignment in late June/early July, has one or 2 starts and then the AS break is here.

Possible he pitches in a game before the break but they could just give him more time and wait until after.

Just hope he gets in a few good starts before July 30th and then they can decide whether trading him or not is on the table.

That's right. It just takes time to get a starter back in the ML game.

This also limits his total innings for the year to probably what they would have maxed him out at anyway.  Providing he is healthy he should be able to finish the season without skipping a start.   He was only going to throw so many innings this year.

I think this is a good thing because it takes Means out of the All Star Game convo.  Gives Mullins and Mancini better chances of selection.  
And lest anyone has forgotten how Orioles’ aces get treated in the All Star Game........

Cito Sucks!

• 1 month later...