The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

8 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Nah, it has to be a road game for it to be a true test. Once it goes to the ninth tied the save rule is moot for the home team. 

Sure, that's true, but it's not just about the save. It's also about using your best "closer" anytime before a lead or save situation.

Hyde's move to pinch run his last outfielder (McKenna) for O'Hearn tonight in the top of the 8th right after Hays was clearly running in pain was an absolutely reckless, unncessary, and stupid move. Up three runs, the benefit of extra speed at second base is simply not worth the risk of having Hays get further injured or not be able to get to a fly ball later in the game, and then not be able to replace Hays for injury purposes later in the game.

McCann could come in as an injury replacement, but then you're left with no backup catcher. 

Unbelievable management by Hyde.

Edited by Brooks The Great

29 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Hyde's move to pinch run his last outfielder (McKenna) for O'Hearn tonight in the top of the 8th right after Hays was clearly running in pain was an absolutely reckless, unncessary, and stupid move. Up three runs, the benefit of extra speed at second base is simply not worth the risk of having Hays get further injured or not be able to get to a fly ball later in the game, and then not be able to replace Hays for injury purposes later in the game.

McCann could come in as an injury replacement, but then you're left with no backup catcher. 

A little over the top? I did not see Hays' injury but you could always lose the DH and put Santander in OF, or just stick a pitcher in RF. I do not get the vitriol against Hyde.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Hays stubbed a toe a bit.  He was fine.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Very limited options there.  Bautista had pitched 2 days in a row, Cano had gotten 5 outs yesterday on 25 pitches before pitching the 9th today.  I can’t blame Hyde for using Gillaspie but it sure didn’t work out.  

Someone pointed out in game thread the mistake came last night when he was inserted in a 3R game.  That’s when he should have used someone besides Bautista.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Very limited options there.  Bautista had pitched 2 days in a row, Cano had gotten 5 outs yesterday on 25 pitches before pitching the 9th today.  I can’t blame Hyde for using Gillaspie but it sure didn’t work out.  

25 pitches?  I mean, come on!    And he had a quick dominant inning in the 9th.  Sorry, but it’s either Bautista or Cano there.   Heck, I’d rather see Austin Voth there.