What do you think of Tyler Wells?

wildcard

59 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They tried him at reliever.  He was bad there also.

In full disclosure, I really couldn't stand Mike Wright.  Can't really explain it, I just couldn't stand watching him pitch.  Sometimes you just get an irrational dislike for a player.  He's probably a lovely person in real life.

Anyway, back to Wells - I'm bearish but he shows some potential and it's not really hurting this team to have him here.  Might as well hold on to him and see how he develops.

This seems to be playing out just the way Elias wants it to.   He is developing a core of players to be the next contender but still holding on to acquiring top talent  by  probably drafting high in 2022.     Means, Mancini, Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mountcastle and some of the young pitchers on the 26 man roster are going to be part of the next contender.   But there is bunch of talent coming in Adley, Grayson, DL, Vavra, Bradish, Brnovich, Henderson, Westburg and maybe even Dorrian.   

I don't think Elias is in any hurry to make the 2021 Orioles winners.  But when Adley, Grayson and DL arrives that flips the switch.    

So Wells being on the team is not hurting anything because Elias is still in talent accumulation mode and Wells has potential to be a part of the core.   Wells in not holding the team back because Elias is not trying to win.......YET.

19 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

The only Rule 5 selections I have supported are: Jason Garcia (high upside, didn't work, oh well) , Santander (high upside, worked like a charm) and Russel Martin (high upside, sucks he just got hurt again, like him a lot).

Wells looks good to me. His strikeouts last night were impressive. There were a LOT of high upside guys we passed on this last Rule 5 which disappointed me. I get they have to stick but when you are trying to lose that strategy makes no sense to me. They trade away anyone of value, so who cares? Get the talent in the org. I truly am puzzled by their approach with selecting Rule 5 guys under Elias. I didn't agree with Dan and Buck on their picks, but I understood what they were going after at least.

I am just happy we selected Santander, he was the number one guy I wanted that year.

Jay Gibbons is probably my all time favorite Rule V pick by this organization

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is to get Wells to AAA next year.   Nearly two months in the book;  they just need to have him occupy a roster spot basically June to August.   Don't rule out a DL stint.   In September, he does not clog a roster spot(and the season is over at that point anyway).  Not sure if MLB implemented the 28-man roster for September for this year, but the extra spots are there to hide Wells if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, does he pass the eye test.  Palmer said his changeup has dramatically improved since the start of the season, and they see him as a starter.  I like him as a 3 or 4 inning pitcher.  Notice how Kevin Snith was used today by Bowie - pitching the last 4 innings.  Why not make that a role to play in the majors - for pitchers like Smith and Wells?  

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Wow, does he pass the eye test.  Palmer said his changeup has dramatically improved since the start of the season, and they see him as a starter.  I like him as a 3 or 4 inning pitcher.  Notice how Kevin Snith was used today by Bowie - pitching the last 4 innings.  Why not make that a role to play in the majors - for pitchers like Smith and Wells?  

I was at the Baysox game in Hartford. Smith looked really good, along with some schmoe named GRod. ?

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

In games that count you're still probably going to close a close game with your best late inning pitcher. You're also going to want to take full advantage of matchups as much as you can.

I agree there is a role for these guys beyond low leverage middle relief. Probably makes most sense as either "opener" when you don't have a great starting rotation, or backing up an opener. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can you give an eye witness account of Grayson?

Sure... he was slightly shaky in the first inning, with a few Hartford hitters making solid contact to put up a run in the first inning. Might have been a location thing, because GRod came out throwing 98-99. After the first inning he settled into a groove with all of his pitches and the hitters seemed overmatched. He works fast, not a ton of wasted movement in his delivery. Reminded me a lot of Mussina to be honest but higher velocity. And Adley's glove was POPPING. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Sure... he was slightly shaky in the first inning, with a few Hartford hitters making solid contact to put up a run in the first inning. Might have been a location thing, because GRod came out throwing 98-99. After the first inning he settled into a groove with all of his pitches and the hitters seemed overmatched. He works fast, not a ton of wasted movement in his delivery. Reminded me a lot of Mussina to be honest but higher velocity. And Adley's glove was POPPING. 

Great review.  Thanks,  Sounds exciting.  I went to see him in Hagerstown in 2019 and he did not have that good of game.  No speed on the pitches in that ball park which  would have added to the experience.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Great review.  Thanks,  Sounds exciting.  I went to see him in Hagerstown in 2019 and he did not have that good of game.  No speed on the pitches in that ball park which  would have added to the experience.

Another cool thing... Grayson finished a few innings with strikeouts. Adley, instead of heading to the dugout headed towards the mound to give an attaboy to GRod, the two of them would walk to the dugout together. Very cool to see the connection Adley has with pitchers.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I think it’s interesting that we talk about how we shouldn’t rush prospects, yet we find it perfectly acceptable to put guys on the team straight from A ball in hopes that they can provide some semblance of a role player down the road.

I’m blanking.   Who are you talking about?   Do you mean a Rule 5 guy?